Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Wifi available while traveling, no internet. Help?

Even though this isn't one of my main priorities, whenever I travel from college from home, which is a good 10 hours, I try to use internet, and my macbook pro says there is wifi, but no internet. I usually take a greyhound or trailways bus back, which says there is wifi. I have seen it and it says on my laptop there is wifi, just no internet, and I don't know much about the wifi signal. Is there a certain way I can get it fixed so I can get my internet working? Anything will help. Thanks!

MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2012), OS X Mountain Lion

Posted on Nov 24, 2012 7:05 PM

8 replies

Nov 24, 2012 7:49 PM in response to Russa

Oh yeah. They do have a specific wifi spot for the greyhound bus and some wifi connections that are just in the surrounding area. When I click on them, it says there is a full connection at least for wifi, but I don't get any internet. And yes, wifi is available for all people travelling on the bus. I'm wondering if there's just a certain thing wrong with my network preferences

Nov 25, 2016 2:05 PM in response to jasonb6214

I know this post is probably outdated by now, but I have been experiencing the same exact issues while on greyhound and also with some other hot spots. I found this thread while looking for an easy solution and then did some experimenting of my own. What I (finally) found to work almost every time is this: when trying to connect to a hot spot that requires an authentication page to log in, if the authentication page will not show up but he wifi signal is there.....

1. Go into wifi settings. When connected to the hot spot network you wish to use, click the "i" information icon next to the network name

2. Right below the first box on the information page where it says you are connecting to an unsecure network is a link saying "learn more about recommended settings for wifi"

This link usually brings you to Apple support but almost always it forces the authentication page open. If it doesn't work the first time try turning wifi on and off. I had a few hiccups but it's the only method I've found to work 90% of the time

Wifi available while traveling, no internet. Help?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.