Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I use the airport card in my macro to extend a network?

I've looked into extending a wireless network using an airport express, etc, but I was wondering if I could use an airport card in my Mac Pro to do this as well?

I realize I should be able to 'share' as a hotspot, but would prefer to extend an existing (or new) network instead.

cable modem----> airport or TC -----> Ethernet ----> Mac Pro -----> internal airport card (extends wifi network on airport or TC)

Thanks,

Mac Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Nov 25, 2012 7:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 25, 2012 8:41 AM

System Preferences > Sharing > Internet Sharing ...

can allow you to declare that your Mac Pro now includes simple Router functions that offers WiFi service to nearby devices. It has some limitations, but DOES offer DHCP to those devices.

When configured in this fashion, the Address assigned to the port on your Mac Pro is not a meaningful indicator of whether it is working properly -- that will be a self-assigned IP address in the range 169.254.xxx.yyy. The important address is the one provided to the WiFi devices, which is often 192.168.1.1.

Only the base channels 1 to 11 will be offered. Only WEP encrytion is offered. So if you already have lots of nearby Routers, this option is not that helpful.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 25, 2012 8:41 AM in response to scott97

System Preferences > Sharing > Internet Sharing ...

can allow you to declare that your Mac Pro now includes simple Router functions that offers WiFi service to nearby devices. It has some limitations, but DOES offer DHCP to those devices.

When configured in this fashion, the Address assigned to the port on your Mac Pro is not a meaningful indicator of whether it is working properly -- that will be a self-assigned IP address in the range 169.254.xxx.yyy. The important address is the one provided to the WiFi devices, which is often 192.168.1.1.

Only the base channels 1 to 11 will be offered. Only WEP encrytion is offered. So if you already have lots of nearby Routers, this option is not that helpful.

Jan 6, 2013 12:41 PM in response to scott97

I don't seem to be able to extend an existing network.

Yes, that is correct. For that you need a full Router instead of the Router-like features bundled in Mac OS X.

High-End Stand-alone Routers such as Apple Base Stations can extend your existing network with full WPA encryption and pass through DHCP.

I am not intent on being an Apple fan-boy, but they do make a pretty good Router with built-in Dual-Band support. There are too many cheap single-band commodity Routers out there that do not really have all the features you could use.

Can I use the airport card in my macro to extend a network?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.