Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Audio syncing problems w/ non-controllable device

I have some old 8mm camcorder tapes that I'm trying to capture in FCP. I have a digital 8 camcorder that's able to play back my old 8mm tapes and convert the analog video to DV within the camera, and send it via FireWire, just like with standard digital 8 tapes. The difference is that there's no timecode with the old analog 8mm tapes, so I have to change my device settings to "non controllable device." So the problem is that the audio doesn't seem to be sinking properly. When I play back the captured video, the audio is so glitchy, it's completely unintelligible.

The only solution I've come up with would be to first copy the old 8mm tapes to digital 8 tapes, and then capture the digital 8 tapes in FCP. But I would need my old analog 8mm camcorder for that, and I don't have it anymore.

I'm using FCP 5.1.4. Your suggestions are much appreciated.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8), 1.83 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2 GB RAM

Posted on Nov 25, 2012 10:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 25, 2012 11:04 AM

generally, if you have any sections without any signal, the audio synch will get screwed up for any subsequent sections after the "control track" break. So minimally, you'll need to stop and then restart the capture to avoid any of these sections.

If the audio is playing cleanly on the camera, but is unintelligable when you capture as you describe, you might want to just capture the audio only and then manually synch to the picture.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 25, 2012 11:04 AM in response to Jeremy Bell2

generally, if you have any sections without any signal, the audio synch will get screwed up for any subsequent sections after the "control track" break. So minimally, you'll need to stop and then restart the capture to avoid any of these sections.

If the audio is playing cleanly on the camera, but is unintelligable when you capture as you describe, you might want to just capture the audio only and then manually synch to the picture.

Nov 25, 2012 10:49 PM in response to Michael Grenadier

I actually just tried doing the same thing on my dad's MacBook, using the same version of FCP, and the captured videos turned out fine. So it must be a problem in my computer. I was thinking that maybe I could change my audio input settings to "Mic In" and then just connect the camera's audio out to my computer's Mic In. Or if that doesn't work, I suppose I could just do all the transferring on my dad's MacBook.

I still wish I knew why it won't work on my computer, though...

Nov 26, 2012 5:56 AM in response to Detlef Kretschmer

iMovie uses a straight transfer of the muxed audio/video stream - the DV format.

This muxed version is a non-native format to FCP and requires rendering as you edit.

Converting to DV/NTSC (DV/PAL) Quicktime de-muxes the audio and video into separate streams. FCP is optimized to edit this Quicktime format without rendering.

Using DV is like trying to edit H.264 files. You can bring these non-native formats into FCP and the program will try to work with the material. However, they will cause problems. It is better to have the material in a FCP native format.

x

Audio syncing problems w/ non-controllable device

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.