Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why do some CD's tracks only play independently ("1 of 1")?

All of my non-music CDs load tracks to iPod via iTunes as individual units ("1 of 1" instead of, for ex., "2 of 16"); any way to get around this? This happens with CDs of Garrison Keillor (humor) and Tony Hillerman (books on CD). The track names appear under the album name on the iPod (under Genres and Albums categories), but when each track plays, it just starts over rather than going to the next track on the recording. These are all original, professional recordings. (This problem also happens with "spoken word" recordings I put on my PC via Adobe Audition that had tracks created with a DAK WAVE EDITOR PRO program and were then transferred to iTunes>iPod.) All my music CDs that were loaded onto iTunes>iPod seem to work fine on the iPod in terms of going from one track to the next. And when I play Garrison Keillor & Tony Hillerman on iTunes, it does play from one track to the next - the problem is only on the iPod. I have a 160GB Classic that is only a few months old. Any helpful information would be appreciated. Thank you.

iPod classic, Windows Vista, 160GB Classic

Posted on Nov 25, 2012 12:03 PM

5 replies

Nov 26, 2012 1:06 PM in response to planb77

Hi - I am new to this discussion grou and didn't realize I could reply to this, and I just posted an additonal "message" with my response. After some experiementing, I found the problem, which was not related to the info in the linked article (thanks anyway!). The programs I was loading were spoken word albums I did not want to be included in iPod's "shuffle" feature. It turns out that when I select "Info>Options>skip when shuffling" for an album on iTunes, when it is transferrs to the iPod, the album's tracks are programed as single tracks that play independently ("1 of 1" instead of "1 of 10" for ex.). When I go back to iTunes and de-select "skip when shuffling" and resynch the iPod, the albums that were "problematic" then have the tracks connected to play in sequence.

Dec 1, 2012 2:58 PM in response to planb77

12/1/12 Hi - Thanks for your question. Whether the iPod is set to Menu>Settings>Shuffle>Albums OR Menu>Settings>Shuffle>Off the result is the same. If an album is programmed on iTunes to "skip when shuffle", on the iPod it's tracks only play as independent units ("1 of 1") and (therefore) when the track is played, the iPod does not automatically procede to the next track. Today I talked with an Apple Tech and after, at her direction, (1) downloading the latest iTunes (v11) and (2) erasing then reloading all the data on the iPod, the problem continued to exist when I programmed an album to "skip when shuffle." She concluded that in order to keep selected ("skip shuffle") albums from shuffling whenever the iPod user selected "shuffle," the iPod somehow had to relate to those album's tracks independently even though that screwed up the ability to just play the album's tracks sequencially. If that is true, this is a serious problem with how they handle the "skip shuffle" option. (If you want, select an album on iTunes & program it to "skip when shuffle" and see if you get the same result on your iPod as I do.) (To complicate things, I do have one meditation CD on iTunes, with four tracks, and which has been programmed to "skip when shuffle", yet on iPod the tracks all play sequencially ["2 of 4"] - why this individual album does this and others don't is a mystery to me.) Bill

Dec 3, 2012 12:53 AM in response to billdrake

I am responding to my own response of 12/1/12 to correct a mistatement (the last sentence). After explaining that tracks on albums designated for "skip shuffle" on iTunes, when transferred to the iPod, appeared as independent tracks ("1 of 1"), I noted that one of my albums mysteriously avoided that problem (when it was designaged "skip shuffle" the tracks still played one after the other). What appeared to be an exception apparently was NOT. Although shortly after clearing & reloading my iPod, the album I referred to DID appear on the iPod with coordinated tracks, after the iPod was turned on and off a couple of times, that same album's tracks switched to only functioning independently. As to why it did not do this initially, and as to why it changed without my doing anything other than use the iPod a few times, I can not say.

Why do some CD's tracks only play independently ("1 of 1")?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.