Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Web Images and App Store Icons are distorted in MacBook Retina Display

Recently, most of the icons on Mac App Store are distorted. I also noticed this on web images when browsing using Safari or Google Chrome. By the word "distorted", I mean that the image was not properly loaded, it contains pink lines and multiple blue and pink dots. I even experienced this on Apple website. When I click on "Shop", the images for Macs, iPod, iPhone, etc. are distorted or you can see some image ghosting. I haven't experienced this issue on other non-web applications like Office, Finder, etc.

Do you think it is a problem with my machine, or my internet connection? My internet connection seems fine when I use other laptop or computer. I even tried browsing the web around 3 AM in the morning when the connections is fast, but the issue is persistent for web browsers (Safari and Chrome) and for App Store as well.

I am using 13" rMBP, by the way.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.1)

Posted on Nov 25, 2012 3:04 PM

9 replies

Nov 25, 2012 6:08 PM in response to iancaldo

For example, if I use Safari or Chrome to visit http://www.apple.com/support/mac/app-store/, the MacBook Air image on the right side is distorted, with a mix of pink (magenta) and cyan lines and dots. It seems that the image was not loaded properly on a Retina display.

Do you think this is a hardware failure, or a problem with my internet connection?

Nov 26, 2012 5:49 PM in response to iancaldo

I can now observe the issue on websites that contain large graphics like Flickr. On another laptop (Windows), some websites are not loaded properly because of my internet connection. For my Mac, I think it would be best to test Safari and Chrome using a stable internet connection before asking for technical support just to rule out a possible cause of the problem. Also, some websites that I view, aside from the distorted images, contain codes (maybe HTML codes). This means that the web page is not loaded properly, right?

My connection speed is 0.48 Mbps for download speed and 0.28 Mbps for upload. Is this too slow for Retina display?

I bought my MacBook Pro during the first week of November and did not encounter any graphics issue until now. I used to browse the internet and the web images seems to be loaded properly.

I do not encounter any graphics issues when using other non-web applications like Microsoft Office, Calendar, Photoshop, et al.

Nov 28, 2012 7:11 AM in response to iancaldo

The example you posted above usually correlates with graphics Hardware problems.

Software-only problems more often omit sections of the pictures, or fail to display them entirely, or display a partial page or a blank page.

The speed of your Internet link should have nothing to do with this problem. You should be able to surf over a dial-up connection (although most users would find it extremely tiresome to wait for those pictures to be downloaded and displayed).

Web Images and App Store Icons are distorted in MacBook Retina Display

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.