Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I want to backup my iPad 2 to my PC

I have instructions but need a part (more on that to follow). I did some reading and it appears you can't do a compete backup like on a PC. Something about restrictions set forth by Apple. I read about various programs.. So I'm wondering; which program do you recommend, if I need one? The instructions I have refer to iTunes, then click Devices on left and I forget the rest. Seemed easy until I read not all is backed up..

The part I need is a USB cord for iPad to PC. I only have male to male for PC.

iPad 2, iOS 3.1.2

Posted on Nov 25, 2012 4:39 PM

5 replies

Nov 25, 2012 5:00 PM in response to PinkiPadLostHerPassCantRecover

The non backed up content can be downloaded again if needed - or synced back from iTunes - if I understand what you are referring to correctly. iTunes or iCloud stores the rest of the non backed up content - which would be your purchased content from the iStores and any media that you have synced for iTunes on your computer. Apps. Movies, photos ... All of that should be in iTunes if you sync with iTunes.

You will need the cable to sync and backup.

You right click on the iPad name under devices and select Backup - while the iPad is connected to the computer and with iTunes running.

How to backup and restore from a backup

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1766

Nov 25, 2012 5:24 PM in response to Demo

The cord that charges can be used so that's all set. Just learned that.

I want to back up everything including apps. Guess I need to keep a list of all apps to download again. I have fifty-three apps but use seventeen. I can toss a dozen or so.

But what about my three email programs with saved emails, contacts, etc? I need the files or whatever Mac people call them ;)

Nov 25, 2012 5:49 PM in response to PinkiPadLostHerPassCantRecover

When you create the backup, that backs up your email account settings as well. It doesn't save the email messages themselves, but it saves the account settings. Your contacts, notes, Safari Bookmarks, Safari History, app data and app settings .... And more are contained in the backup.

When you sync your iPad, that should transfer all of your apps into iTunes on your computer. That in essence is how your apps are "backed up". They are saved in the iTunes library on your computer. So no you do not need a list of your apps. You can find that list in your iTunes account.

So.... Backup, transfer purchases and the sync your iPad and all of you app data and device settings will be in the backup, and all of your iTunes purchased content will be in your iTunes library. You will be good to go.

Connect the iPad to your computer with the cable and launch iTunes (if it doesn't start up on its own). If the iPad syncs automatically, so much the better because it should backup and transfer the purchase into iTunes. But just to be safe, after the sync completes - while the iPad is still connected to your computer and with iTunes still running, right click on your iPad under the Devices heading and select - Backup. Let the process complete. Then right click on the iPad under the devices heading again and this time select - Transfer Purchases. Let the process complete. Sync the iPad one more time and then you can eject the device.

You will now have a current backup - and all of your iPad purchase content will be in iTunes on your computer.

Are you really still running iOS 3.1.2? Do you want to update the iPad and is this why you want to backup everything? It's a good idea to backup no matter what, but I'm curious as to where all of this is headed.

You can read this to see what is contained in the iTunes backup.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4946

Nov 26, 2012 5:38 AM in response to Demo

What about apps I didn't get through iTunes? Will it know to back those up as well? How do i backup saved emails?

I want to regularly back up just like I do on my laptop PC. Just in case......

I will attempt a backup tonight to see what it does and doesn't do, how fast it is on my connection, etc.

Thank you for your continued help.

Nov 26, 2012 6:27 AM in response to PinkiPadLostHerPassCantRecover

PinkiPadLostHerPassCantRecover wrote:

What about apps I didn't get through iTunes? Will it know to back those up as well? How do i backup saved emails?

You can only buy apps through iTunes on the computer and then sync the, to the iPad - or download them from the App Store on the iPad. If you have apps that work on the iPad - you bought them in one of those two ways. That's the only way that you can but apps that will work on the iPad.

Backing up emails is something that is reliant on your mail provider. If you have an IMAP email account, you can save the emails that you need to save in a folder that you create on the server or in the Mai, app on the iPad. If you have a POP account, you either have to copy and paste the emails into some app like Notes or Pages, - or just don't delete them. As long as you have the correct settings on the server in your web mail account, the emails will not be deleted - unless you delete them - or unless your email provider has a limit on how long they will be kept on the server.

I want to regularly back up just like I do on my laptop PC. Just in case......

I understand. It's a good habit to get into - backing up the iPad. If you do what I am suggesting - that IS how you backup the iPad. You app data and settings will be in the iPad backup and all of your apps will be stored in iTunes on your computer. You really should read this if you haven't done so yet.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4946

I will attempt a backup tonight to see what it does and doesn't do, how fast it is on my connection, etc.

Thank you for your continued help.

OK. Give it a shot. Post back if you have more questions.... And you are quite welcome.

I want to backup my iPad 2 to my PC

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.