Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Upgrading software,only want to keep my i-tunes library.

I have a early 2006 i-mac , intel core duo, running OS X 10.4.11 I am in the process of upgrading to snow leopard, through a install disc purchased from apple. From researching, I know when I put the disc in, im going to have the choice of install & archive or erase and install.Theres some junk on my computer, and I dont have the original install disc, nor do I have the administrator password ( I bought second hand without discs). All I want to save from my hard drive is my i-tunes lib. I dont have any form of back-up in place. I was going to use my 120 gig i-pod classic in disc mode to back up i-tunes, install snow leopard in erase & install mode, start fresh, using my own administrator ID and password. THEN, through 3rd party software, ( my music came from all different sources, not just i-tunes), load my music back to my newer version of i-tunes. Will this work well? Thanks

iMac, Mac OS X (10.4.11), Got computer used

Posted on Nov 25, 2012 8:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 26, 2012 6:45 AM

You were misinformed.

Normal installation mode for Snow Leopard replaces only system files and leaves applications, data and settings as they are.

To erase and install, you have to deliberately erase using Disk Utility on the installer disc.

You should always have a full backup of your system in case of HD failure or serious finger trouble. It would be wise to backup your Tiger system to an external drive using CCC or SuperDuper to produce a bootable clone. That way all your data is safe if anything goes wrong.

I do not recommend using your iPod for this; an external HD is a lot safer.

If you're using a retail SL disc, there is no iLife package with it, so if you want to retain iPhoto, iMovie, iDVD and GarageBand you'd be best to do a normal install.

Ensure you select Rosetta from the custom install list - your older software won't work without it.

The installer will replace the Tiger system files with SL ones and should not touch any of your data or settings. Note that the restart will take considerably longer than usual as files are moved from a temp folder to their correct places in the system.

Caveat; I've done 8 of these now, but two wouldn't install until I erased the Mac HD volume. No idea why the difference, but it does make that cloned backup important.

Be warned that printer drivers, and scanner drivers in particular will almost certainly need updating for SL. That could be a problem if the printer or scanner is more than a couple of years old.

Many third party applications (and some Apple ones) may need updates for SL (Adobe particularly), so check with the vendors for compatability before you upgrade.

There is no Classic in SL and no support whatever for OS9 and earlier applications.

If you still wish to save only the iTunes stuff, just drag the entire iTunes Music folder (iTunes Media in later builds) to your external HD and drag it back to replace the new one after installation. Start iTunes with the opt (alt) key held and choose the iTunes Library from the folder for it to use.

Once again, I wouldn't risk your only copy of the music to an iPod. If it syncs on startup, you risk losing the lot.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 26, 2012 6:45 AM in response to new2apple23

You were misinformed.

Normal installation mode for Snow Leopard replaces only system files and leaves applications, data and settings as they are.

To erase and install, you have to deliberately erase using Disk Utility on the installer disc.

You should always have a full backup of your system in case of HD failure or serious finger trouble. It would be wise to backup your Tiger system to an external drive using CCC or SuperDuper to produce a bootable clone. That way all your data is safe if anything goes wrong.

I do not recommend using your iPod for this; an external HD is a lot safer.

If you're using a retail SL disc, there is no iLife package with it, so if you want to retain iPhoto, iMovie, iDVD and GarageBand you'd be best to do a normal install.

Ensure you select Rosetta from the custom install list - your older software won't work without it.

The installer will replace the Tiger system files with SL ones and should not touch any of your data or settings. Note that the restart will take considerably longer than usual as files are moved from a temp folder to their correct places in the system.

Caveat; I've done 8 of these now, but two wouldn't install until I erased the Mac HD volume. No idea why the difference, but it does make that cloned backup important.

Be warned that printer drivers, and scanner drivers in particular will almost certainly need updating for SL. That could be a problem if the printer or scanner is more than a couple of years old.

Many third party applications (and some Apple ones) may need updates for SL (Adobe particularly), so check with the vendors for compatability before you upgrade.

There is no Classic in SL and no support whatever for OS9 and earlier applications.

If you still wish to save only the iTunes stuff, just drag the entire iTunes Music folder (iTunes Media in later builds) to your external HD and drag it back to replace the new one after installation. Start iTunes with the opt (alt) key held and choose the iTunes Library from the folder for it to use.

Once again, I wouldn't risk your only copy of the music to an iPod. If it syncs on startup, you risk losing the lot.

Nov 28, 2012 10:59 AM in response to noondaywitch

Thank you. Your answer is awesome, however, ive had to refer to wikipedia to understand some of your terminology.

Okay, in the case of a HD failure, I should have a "bootable clone". I did click on your links, and am still confused.

***Is a "bootable clone" the same thing as a "external HD"?

In laymans terms, what is the most cost efficent way to do this. Obiviously, i think, I would rather physically have a copy. does that make saece? Thats the reason for my wanting to use a i-pod, to save my music, but in the case of HD failure, thats not going to help me. And I say physically because of "Cloud" clones. I dont really know what im talking about. I know you can have your i-tunes libarary in the cloud , but i guess you can have your whole HD backed up in the cloud? Is cloud specific to Apple, or no?

I will continue to research your response, thank you for taking the time.Theres just so much I dont understand.

Your last 2 paragraphhs are key to my issues.

Where do i find my "entire music folder"?

Where do i get a"external HD"?

Thanks

Nov 28, 2012 2:24 PM in response to new2apple23

A bootable clone is an exact copy of your whole system on an external HD, from which you can boot the computer and work as if on the computer itself.

The applications linked to give you choices about what data to clone, and can also be used to incrementally back up your data from the computer to the clone.

You can make a clone using the Restore function in Disk Utility, but that's all or nothing. Good enough for what you would want as a safety net, though.

You don't have to use the external HD for a cloned system; it can be used just for extra data storage, but if the data is important, it really should be backed up.

External HDs are available from all PC outlets, but some work better with Macs than others. My own backup drives are from LaCie and Iomega. Check the box to see if it says Mac compatible.

A new drive will need formatting for Mac before it's usable; do not use any applications for this which come pre-loaded with some drives (LaCie being one). Use Disk Utility on the Mac to repartition and format the new drive.

Your iTunes Music folder is in your home folder (with the house icon) > Music > iTunes.

Save the whole of that folder and you should preserve your iTunes settings.

I wouldn't trust anything important to the "cloud".

Yes, there are other sources of web-based storage and syncing apart from iCloud.

All I've got time for tonight - meds and bed are calling.

If I can I'll find some more links for you tomorrow (but anyone else who can help, please feel free to butt in) 😎

Nov 28, 2012 7:06 PM in response to noondaywitch

Model Name:iMac
Model Identifier:iMac4,1
Processor Name:Intel Core Duo
Processor Speed:1.83 GHz
Number Of Processors:1
Total Number Of Cores:2
L2 Cache (per processor):2 MB
Memory:512 MB
Bus Speed:667 MHz
Boot ROM Version:IM41.0055.B08
SMC Version:1.1f5

Okay, thanks again. Well , lets talk basics. Heres my "about this mac" info.

How much ram do i have?

How much more ram should i install, as i understand i will need it to install SL.

And what is RAM?

If GB,MB, or a huge TB is where i store my music,pictures,movies,ect...How does Ram relate to that.?

Thank you for your time and sharing your knowledge and experience. Cheers!

Nov 29, 2012 2:15 AM in response to new2apple23

You have 512MB of RAM (half a GB). You need a minimum of 1GB for Snow Leopard, but more would be advisable.

Your early 2006 iMac will take a maximum of 2GB (2x 1GB cards). This requires removing the existing memory card.

The RAM specifications are; 200-pin PC2-5300 (667MHz) DDR2 SO-DIMM, unbuffered, non-parity (non-ECC). You can obtain Mac compatible RAM from Crucial and OWC/MacSales among others.

RAM is a temporary storage area for applications and files which are in use - it's faster to access this from RAM than it is to have to continuously read it from the HD, which is the permanent storage area.

When you finish with the file or application, the final state is saved to the permanent storage on the HD and the temporary storage in RAM is freed for the next task.

A larger HD (more GB/TB etc) means you can store more data on your computer.

More RAM means you can use more applications simultaneously, and/or get better performance from applications making lots of changes (photo/movie/audio processing).

Your iMac cannot run Lion or Mountain Lion - Snow Leopard OS X 10.6.8 is as far as you can go.

Nov 29, 2012 6:25 PM in response to new2apple23

P.S. One more thing... What should I do about that original Administrator account and password that I dont know. (I got my mac second hand without any discs or passwords.) Will my upgrade to SL allow me to delete that (unknown) account and use myself as administrator? His email address is under the home icon in finder, and theres things I cant do without that unknown password. Thanks, be well.

Nov 30, 2012 3:04 AM in response to new2apple23

Now I need some clarification.

The house icon only appears next to the logged in account. If you see it in the sidebar when you're logged in and it has the previous owners name on it, it's their account you're logged in to.

Is there another account on the computer (either admin or standard)?

If you erase Macintosh HD prior to installing SL, you'll be taken through the full process of setting up a new account.

You will however lose the bundled iLife applications, because they only come free with the original purchase and are on the original grey discs which you don't have.

It may be possible to change the password from the SL installer disc, but I can't be sure of that. I've never tried resetting a password on an earlier OS version than the disc I'm using.

If you have a seperate admin account of your own, other than the previous owner's, you can delete the previous account from System Preferences > Accounts, but you'll need your own admin log-in password to do that.

The password can be reset without the disc, but that requires entering commands at the UNIX command line in Single-user mode. Not for the faint hearted.

Upgrading software,only want to keep my i-tunes library.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.