Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Password Protecting External HDD to Prevent Access on Other Computers

Does anyone out there have an idea/suggestion of how I could protect content on an external HDD?

Anyone can just plug it into their mac/pc and read it. I tried getting Info of the drive i want to lock and unchecking "ignore ownership" box. I placed a password and i selected "no Access" to "everyone" and then removed "staff".

I then removed the drive from my macpro and connected it to my macbookpro with a different username and password, but i can still access, edit, copy and paste with no trouble at all

Is there a way I can 'lock' it with a password, wether it's the whole drive or just a folder, and prevent access on any computer, be it Mac or PC unless you know the password?

This would be a great help.

Thanks,

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Nov 26, 2012 12:08 AM

3 replies

Nov 27, 2012 12:38 AM in response to Linc Davis

Thanks Linc, that helped but there was a question on that page that also came to mind:

User uploaded file

and my other question would be: if i encrypt a disk using a computer, when i use the same disk on a different computer, will i be prompted to enter the admin username and password of the computer where i encrypted the disk?

one last question: will a PC see the disk and prompt for the same admin username and password of the encrypting computer?

Password Protecting External HDD to Prevent Access on Other Computers

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.