Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problem with Multiple Indexes

I have data in Columns A, B & C. Column A has 1st names, Column B has 2nd names, column C has a phone number in it.

On a separate sheet I want to be able to type a 2nd name into A2, and a 1st name into B2, and for C2 to bring that person's phone number. So if i typed Jones.....Bob, it would search for jones in column A, then Bob in column B, then bring me his phone number from Column C.

Hope i explained that ok.

I have tried the following formula, which worked in Excel for the exact same problem, but doesnt work in Numbers. In Numbers the formula only returns the phone number from the 1st guy in the list. This is the formula.....

=IF(A2="","",INDEX(C:C,MAX(INDEX(ROW(A:A) * (A:A=A2) * (B:B=B2),))))

Again, this worked in Excel but does not work in Numbers.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Cheers

iMac, iOS 6.0.1

Posted on Nov 26, 2012 4:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 26, 2012 5:36 AM

I would add an aux column to your data table like:

User uploaded file

Column C in the table "Phone List" contains the formula:

User uploaded file

C2=B2&" "&A2

select C2 and fill down

Then, in the tabele on the right, to locate the specific person in the phone list table use the formula:

B3=VLOOKUP(B2&" "&B1,Phone List :: C:D, 2)

4 replies

Nov 26, 2012 11:48 PM in response to ltg21

Wayne's suggestion is essentially the same as I would offer for the request made—display the phone number is another column on a separate sheet.

But if you just wanted to see and read the telephone number, you could use the reorganize panel to filter the table.

Here's a sample table, with the reorganize panel located beside it. I've entered one 'rule', but have left the "Show rows" box unchecked so that the whole table is displayed.

User uploaded file

In some cases only the single criterium will be necessary. Here, for example, there are three "John"s in the list, so filtering for John makes it pretty east to pick out the right number:

User uploaded file

If a single term leaves too long a list, add a second by clicking the + sign. Adding "Smith" brings this list down to a single entry:

User uploaded file

Results can be copied from the filtered table, and pasted where you want them.

Regards,

Barry

Problem with Multiple Indexes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.