Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMessage texts not showing up on iPhone, but appearing in Messages on laptop

Hi,

I have an iPhone 4S and a 13" MacBook Pro. Both pieces of hardware are up-to-date in terms of software.

I've been using Messages on the laptop without any problems until this past week. Almost everyday now, whenever I launch Messages, I'm seeing a new text that never made it to my phone.

The most recent example was a text that was sent yesterday. It never appeared on my phone, but as soon as I launched Messages on my laptop this morning there was the text.

I've searched the forums and Google and I can't find any other instances of this issue.

iPhone 4S, iOS 6.0.1

Posted on Nov 26, 2012 6:29 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 10, 2013 3:20 PM

I managed to fix mine by turning off iMessage via the iphone system preferences and then turning imessaging back on.

On your iPhone open system preferences. Select messaging. Switch iMessaging to off. When you do this you should see the phone number vanish from your iMessage on all other device. Once you confirm this turn your imessaging on the phone back on and then reanble the number (which will once again show up) on your other devices.

Problem solved.

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 10, 2013 3:20 PM in response to elmalo68

I managed to fix mine by turning off iMessage via the iphone system preferences and then turning imessaging back on.

On your iPhone open system preferences. Select messaging. Switch iMessaging to off. When you do this you should see the phone number vanish from your iMessage on all other device. Once you confirm this turn your imessaging on the phone back on and then reanble the number (which will once again show up) on your other devices.

Problem solved.

Dec 6, 2014 4:23 AM in response to Avery Z. Chipka

Avery, you ROCK!

Old thread but current problem and extremely frustrating and annoying! I have consistently been finding important messages on my MacBook Pro a day later when I had my iPhone with me the entire time! I have spent hours trying to figure this thing out. YOUR method is so simple....

When I turned off Messages in my iPhone my number did NOT disappear from the preferences panel in my Mac's Messages app or anywhere else. But I just waited a couple minutes before turning Messages back on in my phone and, voila, problem fixed!

Thanks Avery!

Dec 29, 2013 12:23 PM in response to elmalo68

Old thread, but this just happened to me. It Started out of the blue- and was quite irritating. Would send a imessage on my iphone- and not see that someone replied until I looked at my computer.

Here is what fixed it for me:

Go to Settings -> Messages -> Send & Recieve. Under "Start New Conversations From" - make sure your phone number is selected, not your email adress. This immediately fixed the delivery issue for me.

Hope this helps!

Jun 14, 2016 9:00 AM in response to elmalo68

I am having this problem. It seems to only happen with SMS messages vs iMessages. However, even some of those come through. Here is what I know:

- I have an iPhone 6s with iMessage installed on two computers and one iPad

- I get most all messages on my iPhone however, there are a few people whose messages I don't get

- I don't have any blocked numbers

- I get ALL of my messages on my each of my other drives AND I get them on my Apple Watch (weird)

- I can reply to people from my phone and they get my reply but their reply to me only goes to my Apple Watch (and my other drives)

HELP! I'm missing a lot of important messages.

iMessage texts not showing up on iPhone, but appearing in Messages on laptop

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.