Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ethernet no longer works only wireless

I had the newer Apple TV and I hooked up a Ethernet wire direct from my MAC.

It worked fine for a few months and I had not used it for about two months, I turned it on for Netflix and it stated that I needed to connect to the Internet.

I have a wireless connection and I tried that and it works.

I shut it off and pulled the plug and I redid the Ethernet connections but no luck.

There was also an Update, I downloaded it but still no luck.

Is there a reboot of some type that I can try?

The wireless Wi-Fi works and I am getting full signal strength but I prefer it as a backup to the hard wire of the Ethernet.

Any suggestions other then buying a new long Ethernet wire to see if it it the wire.

I purchased the wire at the same time I got the Apple TV earlier this year.

Thanks

Greg

imac, Mac OS X (10.6.5)

Posted on Nov 26, 2012 7:19 AM

5 replies

Nov 26, 2012 7:31 AM in response to greg1424

Hi Greg,

Before buying a new Eth cable it would be good to check where the problem is.

1. Check the cable with another device i.e. your iMac. Just plug the imac to your router using this cable and see if the eth port in System Preferences / Network goes green.

2. This is a better practice to connect Apple TV and iMac via router (ideally with 1Gb switch bulit-in - most of them are theses days). So iMac to the router and Apple TV to the router.

Nov 26, 2012 8:26 AM in response to tzbikowski

Quote:
This is a better practice to connect Apple TV and iMac via router (ideally with 1Gb switch built-in - most of them are theses days). So iMac to the router and Apple TV to the router.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------

So I understand you, I currently have my iMac directly via an Ethernet wire into my Internet Modem and I have the Apple TV via Ethernet into my iMac.

You are saying that I should disconnect my Ethernet wire from the iMac and put into into the Modem.

Correct?

Thanks for your help

Greg

Nov 26, 2012 12:02 PM in response to greg1424

Greg,

If you want to reset the Apple TV there is no risk involved. as there is no data stored on the device.

to rest the Apple TV got To

Settings - General - Reset - Reset all Settings

After reset you will loose your WiFi settings, your apple ID and any other services ID you used such as Netflix etc.

Puttinh them back is fairly quick and easy.

Keep me updated on your progress.

Ethernet no longer works only wireless

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.