Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Help with LogMeIn removal

OK - I had an issue with Microsoft Office that forced me to call them for help. During the call, the tech had me download their LogMeIn helper app so that he could remotely admin my computer. Once we were done, I dragged the LogMeIn app to the trash and secure-emptied. I used Spotlight to find anything that contained the "logmein" string and found nothing. Yet every time I restart my MBA the applet launches. How can I get rid of this?

I used Activity Monitor to inspect the element, and the first line under Open Files and Ports is

/private/var/tmp/LogMeIn Rescue - 2EB9/Support-LogMeInRescue.app

Is this where I need to go to dig this out? How do I access /private???

Please help!

MacBook Air, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2), 120GB

Posted on Nov 26, 2012 8:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 1, 2012 8:44 PM

Had the same problem. Open a Finder window and click "Go" from the menu bar, then "Go to folder" and type "/private/var/tmp" in the box. Should be able to delete the logmein folders from there.

13 replies

Jul 31, 2013 8:43 AM in response to rpduval

Hello my Mac friends----I also had this SAME scam happen to me. I violated my own basic rules of using my computer-----NEVER let anyone take over my computer remotely. Anyway, after MUCH discussion with various people I also found this solution:

While in Finder: Hit Control-F,

After you hit Control-F you will be in a "deeper" version of spotlight. In the upper left hand corner of the box are two drop down buttons. You will want to select "System Files" in the first button and "ARE included" in the second button.

Then, in the upper search box for this window type in "logmein" and/or "logmeinrescue.

There you will see ALL files that contain this nightmare of a program. You can now move all of them to the trash.

Delete the trash-----SECURELY is best. Then, thank your lucky stars you found this out.

I was so angry with myself for violating my own rule. And, it was also concerning a Microsoft product as well.

For 25+ years I've used NOTHING but Macs. The only product from Microsoft has been Word. But with this new Office 365 Premium, I have more exposure to them. I hope nothing else makes this worse.

Best to ALL of you here in our community. I hope this answer also helps someone.

PDUB OKC

Sep 2, 2013 6:28 PM in response to P DUB OKC

P DUB OKC

Thank you. After much searching, I found this to be the correct response for how to remove logmein rescue from Mac OSX 10.7.5. As you correctly point out, LogMeIn files are hidden from the normal spotlight search. Therefore you do need to set system files as searchable using the advanced search options you describe for Finder before spotlight will reveal them for deletion.

Nov 10, 2014 2:26 PM in response to rpduval

I was able to get into the files that P DUB OKC was talking about.

In a normal finder window hit command - F, not control - F

Then you should have this screen:

User uploaded file

Then hit the "kind" drop down menu and select "other":

User uploaded file

Then select system files from the list:

User uploaded file

Now change the drop down menu from "aren't included" to "are included":

User uploaded file

Lastly, type logmein in the search bar:

User uploaded file

I highlighted all the files and deleted them all. Then emptied the trash with a restart and all is gone for me.

Cheers!

- Jason

Aug 16, 2015 11:15 AM in response to P DUB OKC

Thank you so much. The only change I made in following your instructions, were this. The "control F" action did not bring up the correct Finder screen for me. When going into finder, I had to use the "command F" instead of "control F" to bring up the correct Finder screen that included the two drop down windows you referred to on the upper left of the Finder Screen.

Thanks a million times over.

Bonnie

Help with LogMeIn removal

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.