Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I remove stray digital images of backward slashes from my laptop screen?

How do I remove a stray digital image of a backward slash from my computer screen?

PowerBook, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Nov 26, 2012 9:22 AM

8 replies

Nov 30, 2012 11:34 AM in response to raymondzachary

Sorry we're late. I started to reply several days ago but was interrupted, and forgot to get back. 8^P

1) Is this mark the size of a normal screen type character (\) or is it bigger, more like a graphic?

2) Do you have an external monitor to try? You may need some type of adaptor if the external doesn't have a DVI port. The good thing about testing with an external is that it can separate problems isolated to the display and its cabling from problems with the logic board where the video hardware is located.

3) Can you take a picture with a camera and post it for us to study?

Dec 4, 2012 8:23 AM in response to raymondzachary

Thanks.

I noticed MS Word is open in the screen shot. If only the Fnder is running (no user apps) do the marks persist?

Does the marks always appear in the same place or do they move around?

I ask because I've had the occasional redraw issue with Word since OSX was a pup. It usually showed up with a document open but I never checked to see if was there with no doc open but Word stil running.

Dec 4, 2012 8:44 AM in response to Allan Jones

I don't know if it's myself here Allen, but these look like marks relating to the LCD panel itself.

I've seen this on iBooks which have small marks. They are not dead pixels as such but darken spots cast in a very small line. When I've seen this before it's been due to pen pointers or object witch have been used to point at the screen. Normally people have used these object to touch the screen,which has left these very small marks.

It seem to be common on earlier iBook's and PowerBook, maybe due to the type of LCD panel they use.

I maybe wrong here, but thought it might be worth mentioning. 🙂

How do I remove stray digital images of backward slashes from my laptop screen?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.