Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Connecting a MacBook Pro to a Mac Pro (desktop)

Hi. Trying to connect my MacBook Pro (late 2011 model) to my Mac Pro (desktop, 2008) - the MacBook Pro doesn't have a traditioanl Firewire port.

Quad-Core Intel Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.6)

Posted on Nov 26, 2012 9:45 AM

2 replies

Nov 26, 2012 9:53 AM in response to Scott Mosher

It sounds like you want to use Target Disk Mode, which is not possible without a FireWire port.

However, if you have a network, just connect both computers to your network. Then on the MacBookPro, enable Sharing (System Preferences > Sharing) and then on your Mac Pro connect to your MacBookPro from either Go > Connect to Server or via the Finder (Sidebar, look under Devices for the name of your MacBook Pro). Note: or, you could do the reverse, sharing your MacPro and connecting to it from your MacBookPro.

If you don't have a network, you should just be able to connect an ethernet cable between the two computers and follow the sharing procedure I mentioned above.

Connecting a MacBook Pro to a Mac Pro (desktop)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.