Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I am trying to install vmware fusion and during the install it continues to ask for the admin password to install.

I am trying to install vmware fusion 5-1.0.2 on osx 10.8.2 and it just keeps asking for the admin passoword for the computer. I keep putting it in with no luck. I have installed other programs with no issues.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Nov 26, 2012 9:56 AM

6 replies

Nov 26, 2012 10:47 AM in response to allyknat

If yours is the only user account on the Mac, it will have Admin privileges by default, so just type your password. Provided the installer is legit (i.e., downloaded from VMWare's servers and not some shady place), it needs Admin privileges since it needs to add stuff in the innermost folders of the OS for virtualization to work.

If your user account does NOT have admin privileges, you will need to have someone who does install Fusion for you. No way around this.

I am trying to install vmware fusion and during the install it continues to ask for the admin password to install.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.