Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

show focus points - not showing...

I'm shooting with a 1D Mark III, and when I select "show focus points" not seeing the focus points...

User uploaded file

Is this supposed to actually show where my focus point was on the shot(s)

That would be very helpful. What am I doing wrong?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8), 2.6 GHz with 6 GB Ram

Posted on Nov 26, 2012 11:06 AM

13 replies

Nov 26, 2012 11:13 AM in response to David Stembridge

Do you have crop ot straighten selected?

If you select either of them and possbile some other that truns off the display of the focus points. The best way I know to get them to show is to select the first choose from the icons at the top of the full size screen.

Yes with my Nikon D300 it shows all 51 focus points so that you know exactly where the lens is focused. I find it to be great tool.

Allan

Nov 26, 2012 3:41 PM in response to David Stembridge

Just a small point: it does not show (when it works), as you put it, "where my focus point was on the shot". It shows which focus point in the camera was used. (In this discussion, "focus point" is part of the camera. It does not mean "the object in your image that was focused on".) Since the camera can and often is moved after focus is locked, and since the scene may also change, it is possible and perhaps likely that the part of the image under the shown focus point does not correspond to the part of the scene that was used by the selected focus point for auto-focusing the camera.

Nov 26, 2012 4:51 PM in response to Allan Eckert

Ok, thanks Allan, I guess I'm wondering if this may be an issue with my older 1D!

"In order for this feature to work in Aperture, the camera must save the focus metadata into the RAW file. For some cameras, this may simply be a matter of enabling the feature through the camera’s firmware settings. My Nikon cameras seem to have it enabled by default. If the camera does not support metadata in the RAW file, then this feature in Aperture won’t be available."

This may be my issue!

Nov 26, 2012 8:49 PM in response to Allan Eckert

Allan Eckert wrote:

I don't know what Kirby is talking about. He seems to be answering someone else's question.

It reads pretty clearly to me.

The camera has a sensor. Additionally, it has an array of focus-sensors that are fixed in position relative to the main sensor. Which of these focus-sensors was used by the auto-focus system to determine the focusing distance is what is displayed by the feature under discussion.

The point I'm trying to make is that the "focus point" in the discussion refers to which exact focus-sensors in the camera were used to achieve auto-focus. Unless your camera and your subject did not move between the time of focus-lock and the time of exposure, there will not be an exact correspondence between the spot on the sensor that is associated with that focus and what is depicted under that spot in the image.

In my practice, I find it much more awkward and time-consuming to select a focus point while the shot is framed than it is to focus with the central cross-type focus-sensors, lock focus, and then frame the exposure. So for me -- and I think many others -- knowing which focus-sensor was used by the auto-focus system doesn't tell me anything: there is no correspondence between the focus-sensor used and the image.

In the linked blog post, the author shows an image with the selected focus-sensor super-imposed over the model's upper eyelid. IME, it is assuming too much to assume that the autofocus system used that spot on the model's face when it determined the focusing distance.

There are programs that will analyze the actual image and attempt to show what parts of the image are in sharpest focus. Aperture does not do that.

This is -- as I indicated -- tangent to the OP's question. But the way s/he worded the question made me think that s/he things there is a certain one-to-one correspondence between the focusing-sensor used and the objects depicted under that focusing-sensor when it is superimposed over the image. There is not. I found that important to know, and so I pass it along.

show focus points - not showing...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.