Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

GB launch problem: "...possible conflict bw one or more 3d party MIDI..."

Basically I never use GB because there has always been a confllct of some sort preventing even launching the software. After a recent fresh update to 10.8.2, I'm simply trying to launch GB.

I am greeted by this error window: "Garageband has detected a possible conflict between one or more third party MIDI or audio drivers." Clicking OK, it returns seveal times and then just freezes up, requiring a Force Quit.

I have Cubase installed, but this is recent, no idea if this is a possible cause. Other than that possibility I have no MIDI or other devices installed. It seems odd to me that GB has always proven such a problem with simple launch and use (for me at least), being such a fundamental part of the Mac OS family.

I just repaired permissions because I read this could be a cause, no improvment though.

Any suggestions or guidance is appreciated.

Thanks.

OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.1)

Posted on Nov 26, 2012 11:25 AM

2 replies

Nov 28, 2012 10:47 AM in response to Christopher Davis2

I have searched the forums and Google for possible solutions. I have deleted numerous prefrence files related to any audio software I can think of that I have had. The only obvious ones I know I have installed are Cubase and a Digidesign Mbox (not MIDI but anything audio related).

I also deleted several MIDI filders from Mac HD > Library > Audio. One folder, "MIDI Drivers" appears to be a system folder and won't let me delete it. It is empty.

Some imrpovement but still no solution. GB launches to the point of the open project window, select instrument, etc. It fails to fully open then and hangs once again with same MIDI conflict error.

Very very frustrating! At a loss...

GB launch problem: "...possible conflict bw one or more 3d party MIDI..."

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.