Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sharing slideshows with non Apple users

Can anyone suggest the best way to share slideshows with non Apple family and friends?

Posted on Nov 26, 2012 11:13 AM

5 replies

Nov 26, 2012 11:34 AM in response to troshglan

Are you asking about the file format for non-Apple PC's or the best way to physically share the slideshow file or are you asking about sharing with people that don;t have a computer at all?

Once you create the slide show in Aperture you will need to export it. You can pick a number of formats and uses during export. The easiest way would be to export for YouTube. Once the export is finished you can upload the file to YouTube and give all your friends and family the URL to play it.

If you want to deliver a file depending on the software they have on the PC you could use the .mov file format. This requires Quick Time to play it but there is a free Quick Time player for windows available from Apple.

If you want to create a DVD to play on a standard DVD player you will need to get a hold of DVD aurhoring software. Apple use to include the software with iLife but stopped doing that a while back. If you're looking to make a video DVD post back.

regards

Nov 26, 2012 12:18 PM in response to troshglan

Ok if you have iDVD half the battle is won.

The steps are fairly straight forward, create the slideshow in Aperture. Once you are satisfied with it you will export it from Aperture and then import it into iDVD to create the video DVD.

Figure on doing a few experiments to come up with the best quality video. I'd make a short slideshow of a dozen slides or so and try the Apple TV iPad setting. Once the slideshow is exported you will import into iDVD to create the actual DVD for the video player. If you're not familiar with iDVD you'll need to spend some time getting to know it. There is a lot you can do as far as themes and menus and such but I'd keep it simple and just make a basic DVD.

That's about it. Post back if you have more questions

regards

Nov 26, 2012 12:25 PM in response to Frank Caggiano

. I do have iDVD but because Apple have now stopped support for iDVD I would like to get to grips with how best to do it with Aperture.

Aperture creates the video file, but does not support to burn a video DVD. For some options on how to create a video DVD, if you do not want to rely on iDVD, see Karsten Schlüter's user tip:

How to create a video-DVD? (Macs without iDVD): Apple Support Communities

But frankly, iDVD is still the best option; I would take great care to keep it safe, while you still have it!

Regards

Léonie

Nov 26, 2012 12:47 PM in response to léonie

Thank you. I had a feeling that iDVD might still be the favoured option.

For this reason, amongst others, I recently invested in a Macbook Pro with superdrive so that I stll have such options! I shall experiment with short slideshows as suggested and hope I don't lose iDVD! Meanwhile shall make a note of Karsten Schluter's tip.

Thanks again

Regards

Sharing slideshows with non Apple users

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.