Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Considering buying aperture. Have raw images processed in NIK NX2 software. What happens to those files when imported into Aperture?

Understand NiK is discontinuing Capture NX2. Therefore would like to buy Aperture as host for image management. If I do purchase and import RAW files previously processed in NX2 into Aperture. Is old processing retained? Doubtful. Or is new processing required? Have an iMac with iPhoto 10 etc.

G4, Mac OS X (10.3.9), iLife6

Posted on Nov 26, 2012 11:41 AM

4 replies

Nov 26, 2012 12:24 PM in response to Richard and Beverly

Richard and Beverly wrote:

If I do purchase and import RAW files previously processed in NX2 into Aperture. Is old processing retained?

You can import the image files converted from RAW and edited by NX2 but they will no longer be RAW NEF files they will be non-lossy TIFF files or lossy JPEG.

Or you can import the original RAW NEF files into Aperture for Aperture to do the RAW conversion.

To my eyes/brain with the Nikon cameras I use (D2x, D100, D5100) I find that NX2 provides the most pleasing RAW conversions, but I still use Aperture for its great workflow.

HTH

-Allen

Nov 26, 2012 8:05 PM in response to Richard and Beverly

NIK owns the U-Point technology (which is now owned by Google) used in Capture NX2.

Since Capture NX2 hasn't been updated other than maintenance releases in a number of years, it may well be that Nikon isn't interested in licensing the U-Point technology for a newer version of the software.

As you probably already know, NIK customer info is being transferred to Google by the end of this year. Time will tell what happens with the NIK products. 😉

Considering buying aperture. Have raw images processed in NIK NX2 software. What happens to those files when imported into Aperture?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.