Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Best import and export settings for iMovie HD (6.0.4) using iFrame video

I'd like some advice on what the best setting are for importing iFrame (mp4) video and exporting it as HD using iMovie HD (6.0.4).

Importing - Does it matter which format I start the project in?

- Importing as DV or DV wide screen would not be appropriate since they are standard definition.

- HDV 1080i seems like it would be good except that iFrame is progressive, not interlaced.

- HDV 720p is at least progressive. (And it's 16:9. iFrame is 1/4 th size of 1080, 960 x 540) I read somewhere that iFrame supports resolutions up to 720p so that is another factor favoring that setting.

- MPEG-4 seemed like the most appropriate as the files are mp4 but iMovie does not show the HD logo (between the cam/edit switch and the rewind button) when movies are put into it so it may be SD...

- From what I've read, iSight doesn't look like worthwhile. (It's 4:3 for one....)

Exporting

As for exporting, 99% of whatever I will doing will be for YouTube or Facebook and only to be viewed on a computer. File size is very important. I don't want large files sizes as I will be keeping the movies on my computer. The lowest file size that looks good would be what I'm aiming for. Most of what I will be exporting will be short, 3 minutes or so. Blurryness and pixelation is unacceptable.

I used to use the CD-ROM setting for my SD stuff (set up as DV format) and that worked fine. I am having mixed results with my HD stuff and that's all I'm going to be doing from now on.

Under Expert Settings I've tried and am pleased with the following settings*:

to Quicktime movie

- LAN/intranet

- broadband high

to mpeg 4

- LAN/intranet

- broadband high is borderline acceptable

*My tests were using 1080p as the project type for a one minute movie that started out as 4-mp4s, totaling 299 mb. All of the exports I tried above are under 13 mb which is great!

Fooling around with the "Use" settings has been very helpful. I know about changing what's in the "Options" but, for the most part, don't understand the more technical settings. Can someone point me to a place where all of these are explained?

hmm. I wonder if choosing export to iPod or iWeb would be good. So far, to iPod looks bad... I'm still trying to figure out if I can use the iWeb setting at all. (It keeps trying and failing to connect to my Time Capsule which I wouldn't want it to do anyway.) So far I haven't gotten the YouTube widget there to work... (Would the "Share for video podcast" be a good option?)

- Share to Video Camera (as a m2t file) is nice looking but too big a file size.

So, you can see I have some ideas about what will work but want more definitive info as to what's best. Thanks!

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8), 15" Quad core, 2.0/500/8

Posted on Nov 26, 2012 1:01 PM

There are no replies.

Best import and export settings for iMovie HD (6.0.4) using iFrame video

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.