Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

WORKAROUND — Found a Way to Force iTunes Match to UPLOAD

I wanted to let everyone know that after months of living with incorrect matches (mainly The Beatles in Mono), I've finally found a semi-easy workaround to force uploads. I haven't found this anywhere else, but if someone else has documented it, I apologize. I posted this onto one of the many threads regarding the issue quite some time ago (~ 6 months), but I wanted to make sure it was seen by as many as possible. (Sorry for the long post—skip anything you're not interested in! 😉)

MY THEORY

The basis of this was noticing that there seemed to be discrete steps to the matching process (when adding via already-ripped FILES and not CD at least):

1. You add the files to iTunes
  2. You can force a scan by right-clicking and selecting "Add to iCloud"
  3. iTunes scans the new files
  4. iTunes reports that it is sending the file data to Apple
  5. iTunes waits for a "Matched" or "No Match" response from Apple
  6. If the response is "No Match," then iTunes triggers the upload

After observing this for some time, I concluded that if (edited) files could be imported that would give a definite "No Match" result, there may be time in-between steps 4 and 6 to replace the files with the real ones (which had been triggering a false match in the past). To my delight, this worked. Here's what I did:

STEP-BY-STEP:

1. Deleted existing files from iTunes/iCloud, but kept the files on the computer. I then moved these to a different folder.
  2. Took existing files and converted them with dBpoweramp. This will cost money but is well worth it if you are looking for a way to force an upload to iTunes Match. I converted them using the same AAC settings (this doesn't matter), but added the "reverse" DSP, which reverses the audio. This has been enough to foil iTunes into not matching the track, while ensuring that each file will contain unique audio data. This will be quick and painless, at least for the first time. I did it this way because it will retain all of the tags AND length of the file. iCloud will get the file length from this step, and will not change it afterward...so you probably want to use files of the same length as the real ones.
  3. Now I have a copy of the files with audio gibberish but still having correct metadata, etc. I then put these files in my "Automatically Add to iTunes" folder.
  4. Right-clicked on these files and selected "Add to iCloud." If you use "Sort Album" like I do, you can change it before this step and it will upload into iCloud with the correct sort information. If done afterward, it doesn't usually sort correctly on my iPhone.
  5. After iTunes displayed the message "Sending information to Apple" (don't remember the exact message), I pasted the original (correct) files and replaced my audio gibberish files. It is important to note that the filenames must be the same, e.g. "01 Come Together.m4a" if a single-disc, or "1-01 Back in the USSR.m4a" if multidisc. iTunes will also truncate the file name at 36 characters (I believe) so this will all need to be done beforehand. I use various MP3tag actions that I'd be happy to share if anyone wants them. If you are starting with a file that has already existed in your iTunes library, this will already be done (provided iTunes is managing the library).
  6. When Apple returns a "No Match" signal back to iTunes, it then begins to upload the files which I have just pasted.

This has worked for me 100% if doing the upload one time. In some rare cases, I may decide to EQ a file and then re-upload, or otherwise edit the file. Or perhaps I have more than one version (original/remastered, or original mix/remix) that I want to coexist in my library. In those cases, I have again utilized the dBpoweramp "VST Plug-in" DSP, where I use something like Freq Show to garble the audio. It is necessary for the garbled audio to be unique each time for this to work.

A FEW THINGS I HAVE LEARNED

1. If you delete a file and wish to re-upload it, you can use the same files from step 2 (provided you still have them) and iTunes will recognize them as the files previously uploaded. I am not sure how long this works, but your uploaded music remains in iCloud, though invisible, for some time — even if you selected "Delete from iCloud."
  2. iTunes/iCloud evidently does use metadata (at least Album) to help determine if you've already uploaded a song within the same album. I ran into this when trying to test an EQ/level change I had made, and even though the audio content was completely different, iTunes would not upload or would flag as duplicate. If I altered the Album field in any way it would proceed. Other tags can be kept the same.
  3. If you do have mono content, it is trivial to use the dBpoweramp "Channel Mapper" DSP to remove one channel during the conversion from lossless to AAC. The nice thing is, I encode with Nero AAC quality 0.65 (~250 kbps VBR) and this will reduce the file size significantly. There is no real advantage to keeping both channels, since you're doing a lossy conversion anyway. Sometimes the encoders (even very good ones) don't see the file as being mono, due to different artifacts and noise in the left and right channels. Or perhaps the mono tape was transfered with a stereo tape deck, etc. Try it yourself and see if it makes a difference. Also, iTunes will report the file as "mono" when you do "Get Info." I keep the FLAC disc image/tracks in stereo so it will exactly match the CD, but only encode one channel to lossy. If you know the source is mono for sure then there is no possible advantage to keeping both channels of a lossy conversion. (If you're not sure if the source is mono, use your favorite DAW, e.g. Audacity, to invert the phase of one channel before combining left and right. Once you do that, if all that is left is very low-level noise or other artifacts, then you know it is safe to encode as mono.)

IF YOU CARE ABOUT MASTERING

It is also worth noting that if you care about what mastering you have in your iTunes library, there is no other way I know of to guarantee you have the correct version in your iCloud library except to upload it. I found this out the hard way: I had a retail CD version of Paul McCartney's "RAM" album that was recently remastered. I put the CD in, added to my library, and iTunes Match quickly returned with "Matched" for all tracks. Some time later I was listening with headphones and noticed that some tracks had hardly any hiss at all, whereas others had a good amount of it. Since "RAM" is a rather hissy album, I investigated it against the CD and finally found that many of the tracks were being matched to other versions of the song (either from the earlier CD version or compilations with different mastering). So most of the tracks were hit with heavy noise reduction for the iCloud version. I had to follow this upload procedure to be sure that I got the right version. Purchasing the item(s) from the iTunes store would work also, but I had already paid $100 for the deluxe box set. This same problem occured with the Bob Dylan mono box. I was surprised to find that iTunes actually matched my mono versions to mono versions, and continued listening until one day the stereo version played on a certain track instead of the mono. So, even if the iTunes store has the mix/mastering that you are wanting to add to iCloud, the only sure way is to upload it (or purchase it from iTunes in the first place.) If given the choice going forward I would choose the latter, since I am not hung up on physical media and cannot tell a 256K iTunes store encode apart from a FLAC file in a double blind test (almost nobody can).

This has been bothering me for months. I'm really happy to be able to play my correct files on all my devices! For those of us who have unique versions or masterings of albums we prefer, this should be a workaround until Apple decides to give us a "force upload" option. I have tested this on Windows 7 primarily. Should work on any OS.

Hope everyone finds this useful!

Nick

Windows 7

Posted on Nov 26, 2012 2:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 6, 2017 6:10 AM

So after a few years I went looking, hoping that there was now a better way to force upload tracks to iCloud music library. It seems that my little workaround is still the only way. I haven't seen anyone mention this method when this question comes up; maybe they think it's too difficult or time consuming. I've done this so far with several thousand tracks, and it has worked perfectly for the last 4+ years.

I will have to see if I can make it work on a Mac. I have Parallels installed on my Mac so I have just used Windows. At the time I started this thread, dbPoweramp was only a Windows product. Since that's changed, maybe it's feasible on Mac too. Using Little Snitch is a great idea as mentioned by mzamponi.

I am happy to say that Apple has not messed with any of my "force upload" tracks. They are still the same as when I uploaded them, somewhat surprisingly. Now, if I could just find a way to change the artwork …

19 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 6, 2017 6:10 AM in response to comfortably_nick

So after a few years I went looking, hoping that there was now a better way to force upload tracks to iCloud music library. It seems that my little workaround is still the only way. I haven't seen anyone mention this method when this question comes up; maybe they think it's too difficult or time consuming. I've done this so far with several thousand tracks, and it has worked perfectly for the last 4+ years.

I will have to see if I can make it work on a Mac. I have Parallels installed on my Mac so I have just used Windows. At the time I started this thread, dbPoweramp was only a Windows product. Since that's changed, maybe it's feasible on Mac too. Using Little Snitch is a great idea as mentioned by mzamponi.

I am happy to say that Apple has not messed with any of my "force upload" tracks. They are still the same as when I uploaded them, somewhat surprisingly. Now, if I could just find a way to change the artwork …

Apr 12, 2017 8:05 AM in response to comfortably_nick

I have been dealing with this issue since 2011, first with iTunes Match, and now with Apple Music. Unfortunately, I can´t get to work this method on Mac, nor use the hex editor. It always upload the garbled audio copy, no matter how fast I am.

I have sent feedback to Apple requesting a force upload/fix incorrect match option several times over the year, but to no avail (For God´s sake Apple, Google Play Music have such an option, and so does Amazon). This makes very hard for me to enjoy iCloud Music Library, since I care a lot about mastering.

Certainly this is nothing Apple hasn't heard before. A Google search on how to overcome this indicates that many support requests have been made, but I'll add my considerably insignificant weight behind the request, too.

This problem is biggest in the area of remastered albums. I'm a soundtrack collector and in recent years, many older soundtrack releases have been re-released with previously missing tracks restored, alternate versions of tracks available, and all the material remastered from original recording elements. These are albums that are limited editions, with sometimes as few as 1,000 copies pressed. On these discs will be remastered tracks that were available on the original albums, as well, but with vastly superior sound. These tracks are often matched using acoustic fingerprinting and the fingerprints are similar enough to the Apple algorithms, that they are mistaken for a match to the inferior product in Apple's catalogs. Therefore, the tracks aren't uploaded, and any time I attempt to play the music from a device other than the iTunes computer sitting under my office desk, it streams the original master. This is especially annoying when it's peppered amongst the new unmatched material, leading to a grossly spotty listening experience.

I understand that Apple doesn't want to waste space on its servers with umpteen hundred thousand copies of the same song it's got in its massive library. And that providing a force upload feature might encourage people to upload a bunch of stuff that really IS a match for something they already have stored. But I think that the problem affects enough people who collect alternate versions of popular music (remastered, live, alternate takes, etc.) that the option for forced uploading should be part of the product. MANY people are annoyed by this.

May 28, 2017 10:15 AM in response to jpw67

Actually I withdraw my previous post, this method is unreliable. The only 100% reliable method I have found is to do this on Windows using Nick's method at the top of this discussion.

To this end I have written a Windows app to enable batch uploading using Nick's method, you can download it from:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-VJGPYYRKb7UkhET1dSZllIdGs/view?usp=sharing

May 28, 2017 12:24 PM in response to Paul1892

Thanks.

In a fit of desperation I actually turned Icould music library off on my phone, did a manual sync, and then turned Icloud music library back on. To my surprise, the manually synced files weren't wiped off the phone. So in effect I cheated the system and got what I wanted, which is the files faithfully transmitted to my phone, but am not happy with the fact that the files are still not technically properly stored in the cloud.

Note I have a Mac so cannot use the workaround for windows.

Feb 12, 2013 9:33 AM in response to comfortably_nick

I wanted to first thank you for this, as this is the only workaround literature that seems to be floating around out there. With that said, I know it is a big ask, but is there any way that you could create a video showing step by step how to do what you do? I have several tracks that are stuck in waiting mode, and if left in itunes, will never upload or match...they only cause the upload process to hang up and restart. I've tried leaving it for days...I've tried converting the files, signing in and out of itunes (and itunes match), updating itunes match, and I tried your technique...unfortunately to no avail. Perhaps I didn't do your technique correctly. I used audacity to reverse the audio.

ANY help would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!

Thanks

Aug 5, 2013 12:28 PM in response to comfortably_nick

Any ideas for what us Mac users can do here? I'd love to be able to upload my entire library and know it's mine, but it doesn't seem too realistic with the size of my ALAC collection and all the weird converting that would have to be done.

Aug 5, 2013 3:00 PM in response to Jimzgoldfinch

Oh sorry to be confusing Jim! I realize as much. Inevitably I would convert the ALAC catalog into AAC 256kbps beforehand for a smooth upload. That much I can handle easily on OS X. It's just the reverse audio tricks, etc. that I'd imagine is difficult to pull off without a hitch.

Nov 8, 2013 10:29 PM in response to comfortably_nick

Hey all --

I was able to get this to work fine on Windows 7, but when I tried to use the same method on OSX, it wouldn't work. No matter how fast I was, it always uploaded the reversed copy. I thought I wasn't switching the files out fast enough but I got to where I can do it really fast and it still uploads the reversed versions. <shrug> Any idea on how to get this to work on OSX?

Thanks,

-Alli

Dec 28, 2015 1:33 AM in response to mzamponi

I actually checked this, and it's possible:

1. Make a copy of the song you wish to upload and make sure it's not gonna be matched by making it all silent or inserting noise for example (Don't alter the song's length!)
  2. Add it to iTunes
  3. Right-click it and select "Show in Finder"
  4. Open it in a hex editor (http://ridiculousfish.com/hexfiend/)
  5. Open the original song you want to upload in the hex editor and copy the file's content (cmd+a, cmd+c) to clipboard.
  6. Paste it in the file that has been added to iTunes (cmd+a, cmd+v) and don't save it yet.
  7. Make sure iTunes still hasn't uploaded the song.
  8. Wait a little. This is the critical part. iTunes must have analyzed the song and send the data to the server. When the response arrives telling iTunes to upload the file, you should be done with step 9.
  9. Save the file in the Hex editor (cmd+s)
  10. Now iTunes will upload the file, thinking it's content is unmatchable, while actually, it is matchable. But you tricked it into uploading it anyway.

When you have Little Snitch installed you could find out what server the songs are uploaded to and make sure you will be asked for permission each time iTunes wants to connect to it. This way you will know exactly when the file is gonna be uploaded and can exchange its content beforehand.

Actually you could upload any data this way, regardless of content. I haven't tried it though...

WORKAROUND — Found a Way to Force iTunes Match to UPLOAD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.