Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Mini 2011 migration to new iMac 27"?

I have a MacMini 2011 dual core 2.5GHz i5, 8GB, Radeon 6630M and a 750 GB internal hard drive running Mountain Lion 10.8.2

I am going to get a new 27" iMac when they appear December 2012 (or whenever).

I plan to use Migration Assistant (Setup Assistant?) to move my Apps and files and settings etc over to the iMac, unless there is a better (safer?) way...

1. What should I watch out for when doing this? Any "gotchas" or things to worry about?

Both Macs have Thunderbolt ports. The Mini has FW800 and the iMac has USB 3 (but no Firewire).

2. I assume its best to do the transfer via Thunderbolt? Anything to watch out for here?

The Thunderbolt-to-Thunderbolt cables are VERY expensive. What alternatives do I have? I can set the Migration up and let it run all night, so speed is not really a huge issue, I think. (The Mac Mini main hard disk has about 90 GB of system files and apps and things on it. Most of my huge data & video is on external drives, so not a problem)

Thanks!

MacMini 2011 i5, 8GB, Radeon 6630M -OTHER, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2), iPhone5; headless dual G5 via FW800

Posted on Nov 26, 2012 5:50 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 26, 2012 6:30 PM

1. Only thing to watch out for is to migrate in Setup Assistant the first time you boot your new iMac.

If you don't do it in Setup Assisant you'll wind up with a new user account and issues you won't enjoy.

2. Thunderbolt would seem the way to go. If you don't want to purchase the cables then use FW 800.

90GB shouldn't take too long in FW 800. EDIT: Didn't see that about the mini...

Then, you need to use usb.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 26, 2012 6:30 PM in response to William Donelson

1. Only thing to watch out for is to migrate in Setup Assistant the first time you boot your new iMac.

If you don't do it in Setup Assisant you'll wind up with a new user account and issues you won't enjoy.

2. Thunderbolt would seem the way to go. If you don't want to purchase the cables then use FW 800.

90GB shouldn't take too long in FW 800. EDIT: Didn't see that about the mini...

Then, you need to use usb.

Mac Mini 2011 migration to new iMac 27"?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.