Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Vault Update hangs

Tried updating my vault 2-3 times. It hangs about 20% of the way through the update. Tried creating a new vault from scratch and hangs in the same place. Let it roll for 10-12 hours to see if it breaks through but just hangs until I eventually force quit. Any ideas?

Aperture 3, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2), 2.8 Ghz i7, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD

Posted on Nov 26, 2012 7:04 PM

6 replies

Jan 21, 2015 5:54 PM in response to léonie

hey leonie
having same problem
i've deleted all vaults and created new ones on multiple drives

those drives have been repartitioned
i have repaired and rebuilt the library
i have cleared all cache and PRAM
i have also tried a non NAS local vault

nothing seems to work.
i get the pizza and it just hangs ( forever )
act monitor gives a non-respond for Aperture

not sure where to go from here

Jan 22, 2015 6:01 AM in response to wombat2007

i have also tried a non NAS local vault

A vault cannot be on a NAS. A vault is essentially an Aperture Library, and the same conditions hold. Keep your vaults on a local drive, according to this Support document: Use locally mounted Mac OS X Extended volumes for your Aperture library

Is the non-NAS drive formatted correctly?

If you cannot create a vault at all, the problem is probably with your Aperture library - some file that cannot be read or written.

Can you copy your Aperture library to an external drive, or do you get an error message?

Jan 22, 2015 4:29 PM in response to léonie

leonie
i knew you'd be around ; >so - i learned a few things.
All my libraries and vaults have been on external drives - always.
I guess when I said local and NAS I confused you - they are on the same LAN
As fate would have it I came across on article on ApertureExpert that was 5 years old, but this guy
was simply saying, it's not what it looks like
simply let it run for 24-48 hrs for a large library. I did and it's done.
So, lesson learned - even though Aperture seems unresponsive in Activity Manager
and you get the pizza of death, apparently it IS working. Just think in days - not hours.

but to step back, leonie, yes i had gone through permissions, repair and rebuild.
i have a backup library on another drive, as well as archives.
i am in the process of taking the last five years and exporting versions out to a dedicated drive and then will
be moving on to a new library and dumping the masters.
The only way I have found to responsibly back up your library is ChronoSynch scheduled over a LAN( as it can unpack and only copy changes )

I wonder how much of this Apertures fault and how much is hardware.
I would love a pure thunderbolt drive to test but my suspicion is Aperture throttles this to the point of 'days' from all the other threads i've read.

thanks again >>

Vault Update hangs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.