Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why do I need a sim card in the first place to unlock an iphone? Does it then lock onto the new carrier?

ATT is telling me I need to swap out the sim card with a new one to complete the unlocking process, but why? Why cant I complete the unlocking process without a sim card? If I unlock the iphone with a sim card in it (lets say straight talk), then will the iphone be locked with straight talks network and no one else; in otherwords not really an unlocked iphone?

iPhone 4S

Posted on Nov 26, 2012 10:12 PM

1 reply

Nov 26, 2012 10:37 PM in response to Haydiis

You have to have a SIM because you cannot activate any iPhone without one, it completes the circuit so to speak. You can even use one that is no longer valid, like your AT&T microSIM to unlock it. Or use your straight talk microSIM. No, it will not lock it to straight talk. When you restore it as new you will get a messag in iTunes that says, "Congratulations, your iPhone is now unlocked."

Why do I need a sim card in the first place to unlock an iphone? Does it then lock onto the new carrier?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.