Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is GarageBand a good choice for this use?

I use a Mac Pro using operating system 10.6.8

Using a microphone I want to speak a few sentences and record my voice and then play and record a snippet of music I have on iTunes (I don't want to record the entire song, just a snipped within the song). Similar to a radio DJ where a song is introduced by the DJ and then the record is played. Is GarageBand a good choice for this or is there a different software package you would use. Whatever I do I want to keep it simple and do not want a buch of bells and whistles I do not want and most likely never use.

What do you guys think?

Harry

GarageBand (Mac) '11, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Nov 26, 2012 8:13 PM

9 replies

Nov 27, 2012 7:54 AM in response to Foodsman

Hi isteveus,

I guess at times ignorance, in my case anyway, has no bounds... I read

GarageBand at a glance

GarageBand Tutorial 1

GarageBand Tutorial 2

GarageBand Tutorial 3

and I still don't know how to figure things out. I guess I harken back to the old days where manuals were included and would tell you

1. Plug in your microphone and push button with the microphone on it.

2. Speak into the microphone and when finished push the Pause button.

3. Open iTunes, select song and the snippet of the song wanted.

4. In GarageBand record snipped by doing whatever...

Oh the old days. Any help you could give me would be most appreciated.

Thanks,

Harry

PS. Someone told me to buy “Soundboard from Ambrosia Software” but GarageBand does the same thing right?

Nov 27, 2012 8:12 AM in response to Foodsman

I would start with adding the song first. Click "Command R" to open media browser and find the song you want and drag it to the timeline workspace, This will create a new track for the song.

You can either edit the song so you have the part you want or what I would do is just turn on the cycle region (find this in the help menu) and drag the cycle region marker over the section of song you want.

Now with mic and headphones (if you have some) plugged in we want to use a real instrument track that should have been created when you opened the project, if not just create a new one and select it so it's highlighted and the record enabled button is red and turn monitoring on so you can hear yourself in the headphones.

Now you can just hit the play button and practice your lines while hearing the song in the background. When you're ready hit the record button and you're done.

This may be a little over simplfied for you but you can find tutorials on all this in help, at apple or youtube, just google. If you need specific help this is what this forum is best at.

Nov 27, 2012 9:08 AM in response to Foodsman

Wow, I think I'm way over my head here. I think I need a pick-em-up truck and GarageBand is an 18 wheeler! I can't even figure out what you told me much less figure out the help menu and the GarageBand front panel. I thought I was reasonable able to work through most software packages but this is maybe above my ability to reason!

One thing that does not help is when you open GarageBand Help and when it is open you can't bring GarageBand forward so you can read help and then perform each step.

I’m sure its like anything else, once you do it you know how its done, I guess I question my ability to figure out “how its done”!

I do appreciate your help however, I guess you can’t help the helpless…

Harry

Nov 27, 2012 11:15 AM in response to Foodsman

GarageBand IS the pickup truck. The 18-Wheeler is Logic or ProTools. It seems that you are coming from a bicycle level and then even driving a car or a pickup truck requires you to learn how to drive. And here I said the magic word "learn". You have to invest some time. You admitted that you didn't even

understand what istevius was taking about. You need at least some basic understanding what you are doing beyond the "push that button here" and "turn that knob there". (Harry, please don't get me wrong. I mean that in a very constructive and helpful way).

GarageBand is really easy to use, but you have to understand some basic (and simple) principles about audio and recording. I try to provide that basic level in my manual "GarageBand 11 - How it Works" to help the user overcome that first level of frustration ("what heck is he talking about") before explaining all the details.

There seems to be some lack of "self-investing-time" nowadays with many users across different forums. "I got this application xyz, how do I use it - help" The concept of learning, reading instructions seems to get lost. There are many highly skilled, helpful and friendly people on the forums and once the user gets some basics done and get stuck, they are out there to help.

BTW, that annoying "always on top Help Viewer window" can be dealt with a little utility app "Tinker Tool".

User uploaded file

Hope that helps

Edgar Rothermich

http://DingDingMusic.com/Manuals/

'I may receive some form of compensation, financial or otherwise, from my recommendation or link.'

Nov 27, 2012 3:09 PM in response to Foodsman

Hey guys,

I well understand that your thoughts are "hey another Bozo who wants us to do the work while he will not even read the outside of the box"! Well, the Bozo part is right but my not reading is not. A couple things please!

1. I live out in the country and have a very slow internet making view a video long, tedious and very difficult to follow. If I could download them maybe that would work but they are not downloadable, at least the ones I've seen.

2. So much of the information I've seen leaves more question than gives you answers. The following is copy of the "

GarageBand_09_Getting_Started" pdf that I downloaded from the GarageBand Help menu. This is to be a "How To" pdf right? So after it tells me to make a document, name it and save it. Look what it says next towards the bottom where it says "Playing a Project" it says

"After you’ve added some recordings, loops, or audio files to your project, you’ll want to

play the project to hear how it sounds. You play projects using either the Space bar on

your computer keyboard or the transport controls, which are located in the control bar

below the timeline."

What in the heck is recordings, loops, or audio files to your project... What?????

It is NOT a matter of not reading, its a matter of poor information of what I'm reading. Why go 1, 2, 3, 4 and then not tell you what to do after that. Very confusing and very frustrating but I do thank you guys for being willing to provide information. You're the best...

Harry

GarageBand_09_Getting_Started

1 Choose File > New.

The New Project dialog appears, with buttons for different project types, including New

Project, Magic GarageBand, and iPhone Ringtone. Click the New Project button.

Project templates appear in the main area of the window. Templates are included for

voice, acoustic instrument, electric guitar, keyboard, songwriting, loops, and podcast

episode.

2 Click the icon for the template you want to use, then click Choose.

3 In the Save As dialog, type a name for the project in the Save As field, then browse to

the location where you want to save the project.

4 Click Save.

After a moment, the GarageBand window opens with the new project. The central area

of the GarageBand window is the timeline, which is divided into horizontal rows called

tracks. You organize your recordings and loops in tracks. The left area shows the track

headers, where you can adjust volume, pan position, and other settings for each track.

Below the timeline is the control bar, with buttons to show different editors and

inspectors, a set of transport controls you use to play your projects, and the LCD, where

you can change project settings and change the units of time in the beat ruler. For

more information about the controls in the GarageBand window, see “GarageBand at a

Glance” on page 9.

You can make music in GarageBand in the following ways:

• By recording sound from a microphone connected to your computer

• By recording sound from an electric guitar connected to your computer

• By connecting a USB (or MIDI) keyboard and playing the Software Instruments built into GarageBand

• By adding and arranging Apple Loops in the timeline

• By creating a Magic GarageBand project

• By viewing and playing along with a Learn to Play lesson

Playing a Project

After you’ve added some recordings, loops, or audio files to your project, you’ll want to

play the project to hear how it sounds. You play projects using either the Space bar on

your computer keyboard or the transport controls, which are located in the control bar

below the timeline.

To start or stop playback:

Press the Space bar, or press the Play button in the center of the transport controls.

Using the Transport Controls

Using the transport controls, you can control playback and move the playhead to

different parts of the project. They also include controls for recording and for turning

on the cycle region.

Nov 27, 2012 4:23 PM in response to Foodsman

As isteveus pointed out, no one thinks you are Bozo. You are actually right that the official Apple documentations for many apps are very basic. They don't necessarily provide the background or context needed to understand specific actions or procedures. That's why I pointed out the importance of gaining that knowledge of the field (audio recording, video editing, graphics, etc) before diving into those apps, regardless how easy they seem to be.

Edgar Rothermich

Is GarageBand a good choice for this use?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.