Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I change the 5 ghz channel on new Airport Express when extended from Time Capsule?

Hi there. My Airplay device connected to the new Aiport Express keeps cutting out.

The 5ghz connection on my Time Capsule is set to channel 48. I have a new Airport Express (with Airplay device) extending from the Time Capsule and when I use WiFi Scanner, it shows the Airport Express set to channel 157. What gives? Is there a way to change to channel 48 or does this not matter? I imagine since they're on different channels, they're not talking to each other or am I .

Thanks in advance for any help.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Nov 26, 2012 9:37 PM

2 replies

Mar 27, 2014 5:31 AM in response to Warren Chow

I have similar with 2 devices extending the main 5gHz Airport Express wifi on channel 48.

The other two are on channels 100 and 120 - wall works fine, great... but... my TV can't see the 5ghz network being presented on channel 100, only the one on 48 (and this is too far away to provide decent streaming).

I'm guessing this is something to do with European standards for 5gHz network channels.

Even if I want a better link and maybe use powerline ethernet to connect my Airport Expresses, I'm still stuffed with wifi on the TV as the Airport Express nearest to it is still operating on a channel out of the TV's range.

Mar 27, 2014 1:07 PM in response to groovyf

I've managed to change the 5gHz of ther Airport Express that's extending the network.

As mentioned, main AE is on channel 48, and I now have the 2nd AE on channel 36 - which means my TV can now see the network. Also tested speed via my mavbook air on the same 5gHz network as it all seems OK (A while ago I spotted my Time Capsule was on the same channel 48 as main AE and throughput was abysmal! Bad enough to make me reset the TC to factory defaults and setup again - which is when the TC got channel 120).

Anyway, the fix... I changed the 2nd AE to create a wireless network (instead of extend), and manually set the channel to 36. I then set it back to extend, and it seems to have kept channel 36.

How do I change the 5 ghz channel on new Airport Express when extended from Time Capsule?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.