Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Audio spectrum visualizer - multiple audio behavior edit

Hello,

I'm trying to make an audio visualizer like this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3UUSHQhEbk

I created vertical lines and added audio behaviors to Y scale. I set every column to respond on different frequency to create the wave effect like in the video (I couldn't achieve this in After Effects.). My complication come, when i try to add music to audio behaviour. It takes too much time to analyze the sound and i don't want to spare hours analyzing each column (I tried it with only 5 minutes long song, but I will be making at least 1,5 hour mixes.).

Is there any way to simply add music to all audio behaviors in the project and let the motion analyze the sound only once?

I also tried to make the spectrum with replicator, but i didn't find out how to set different frequencies for each column. After Effects isn't solution for me right now, because my trial has expired and I already bought Motion 5. Another thing is that i don't like Adobe software.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Nov 27, 2012 3:51 AM

3 replies

Jul 25, 2015 2:25 AM in response to Emzac

I refuse to work with Adobe products as well... so NOT buying into the "subscription model"…ever.

A few things to consider:

1. start with a short project (10-20 seconds) — you can lengthen it to the length of the music afterwards. Create all your animated objects w/audio behaviors.

2. you have to realize that audio frequencies are not linear — they're logarithmic.

Here's a chart of piano key frequencies: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piano_key_frequencies

"Tune" each audio behavior from one key to just before the next.

[I estimated about 100 "bands" in the video you referrenced — do yourself a favor and cut that down to about 36-50 — it will still look very nice.]

3. Motion needs to analyze every audio behavior for it's specific range of frequencies and create the keyframes that are used for the animation. There's no way around it. So, Add the Audio behavior, tune it to its frequency and wait until you have all of them added before applying the audio.

4. DO NOT MAKE HOUR LONG MIXES! Do each song individually. "Bake" the video (export out each individually). Combine the video into however long a "mix" tape you need. (Re-import into Motion OR use FCPX if you've got it..)

By keeping the project(s) short, you can relatively quickly test the results before committing to a full length rendering of the animation. When you're satisfied with the results you are getting at 10-20 seconds, lengthen the project to the required time; place the playhead at the very end of the project; select the main groups you need for your animation and type the O key to set a new out point. You will need to have Motion re-analyze each of the audio behaviors again for the full length of the project (and you have to wait for each audio behavior to finish analyzing before moving to the next!). You can do that by going into each audio behavior and switching from the audio file in the Source Audio to the Master track or vice versa -- or you can select Respond to Amplitude again (don't switch to transient and back to amplitude, simply select Amplitude again and Motion will restart the analysis.)

5. Reuse the Motion Project. Import new audio for each song and have Motion re-analyze for all of the audio parameters (necessary evil.)

Audio spectrum visualizer - multiple audio behavior edit

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.