Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Scanning: The image size is too big. Please reduce the image height, width, resolution, scaling or output type.

Good Day.

I have recently discovered an issue with scanning. I have tried scanning straight from the printer, through image capture, and through preview. All yeilding the same results since they are essentailly kicking off the same scanning applet. I can scan a jpeg formatted file as long as I applet is in the "Hide Details" mode. If I click on the "Show Details" button, which I need to do to scan to PDF, I immediately receive an error stating: The image size is too big. Please reduce the image height, width, resolution, scaling or output type.

I'm currently using an HP C5180 printer. The most recently installed software was Adobe Digital Editions (I installed this to read an on-line e-book). Not sure if there is any correlation. Thanks for any help.

Mac details are:

Model Name: MacBook Pro

Model Identifier: MacBookPro8,1

Processor Name: Intel Core i5

Processor Speed: 2.3 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 2

L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB

L3 Cache: 3 MB

Memory: 8 GB

Boot ROM Version: MBP81.0047.B27

Printer access log:

Source: /var/log/cups/access_log

Size: 174 bytes

Last Modified: 11/21/12 10:09 PM

Recent Contents: localhost - - [21/Nov/2012:22:09:16 -0500] "POST / HTTP/1.1" 200 61628 CUPS-Get-PPDs -

localhost - - [21/Nov/2012:22:09:20 -0500] "POST / HTTP/1.1" 200 61628 CUPS-Get-PPDs -

Image Capture Support:

Image Capture Support:

Path: /Library/Image Capture/Support/Hewlett-Packard/Devices/HPAiOScan.bundle/Contents/Info.plist

Version: 2.3.0

Path: /Library/Image Capture/Support/Hewlett-Packard/Devices/HPAiOScan.bundle/Contents/Resources/Dev iceInfo.plist

Version: 2.3.0

Photosmart C5100 series:

Print Server: Local

Driver Version: 4.0.0

Default: Yes

Shared: No

URI: dnssd://Photosmart%20C5100%20series%20%5B960B9E%5D._pdl-datastream._tcp.lo cal./?bidi

PPD: HP Photosmart C5100 series

PPD File Version: 4.0.0

PostScript Version: (3011.104) 0

CUPS Version: 1.6svn (cups-327)

Scanning support: Yes

Scanning app (bundleID path): -

Scanning app version: -

Scanner UUID: CC8DD435-CC8D-D435-CC8D-D435CC8DD435

Printer Commands: ReportLevels

CUPS filters:

Inkjet:

Path: /Library/Printers/hp/cups/Inkjet.driver/Contents/MacOS/Inkjet

Permissions: rwxr-xr-x

Version: 4.0.0

commandtohp:

Path: /Library/Printers/hp/cups/filters/commandtohp.filter/Contents/MacOS/comman dtohp

Permissions: rwxr-xr-x

Version: 2.1.1

Fax support: No

Printer utility: /Library/Printers/hp/Utilities/HP Utility.app

Printer utility version: 5.9.1

PDEs:

PDE.plugin:

Sandbox compliant: Yes

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Nov 27, 2012 5:48 AM

8 replies

Nov 27, 2012 9:17 AM in response to sig

Hello Sig

The scanner works with a Windows computer, which proves the device is functional at a cursory level. The drivers are now distributed by Apple and this is an Apple computer. There is no scanning software provided by HP. HP's answer is that Mountain Lion takes care of all of this. I anticipate that some setting or driver was somehow tweaked since the scanner had been working with Mountain Lion until a few days ago. The device in question is an Apple product. So, I'm pretty confident that I'm in the right place.

Regards

Nov 27, 2012 9:21 AM in response to VikingOSX

Hello Viking OSX

I saw this note as well. Thank you for your constructive support. It is most valued. I've been trying to find some setting, either within the physical settings on the printer, in the printer configuration (on the printer), or within Mountain Lion. Haven't had much luck finding anything that would toggle scanner modes for this device. I'm left scratching my head thinking if my daughter hit a setting that I'm not aware of.

Thanks again for your help. It is very much appreciated.

Scanning: The image size is too big. Please reduce the image height, width, resolution, scaling or output type.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.