Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook4,1 won't boot at all

This started out of the blue yesterday. I only had Safari running and my white 13" Macbook running Lion 10.7 froze after wakeup. I forced a power down and reboot only to get the Apple logo and spinning progress meter then it locks. It won't boot in safe mode, verbose mode, taget mode, Lion Restore, using the install cd for Lion or Snow Leopard, or in hardware test mode. I've reset the PRAM several times but no joy.

The only thing I can get on the screen, sometimes, is a kernal panic at machine test with com.apple.devices.AppleIntelCPUPowerManagementClient the culprit.

I've tried booting with power and just from battery. On battery, it locks at the same place but the fan spins up to full speed and runs until I force a power down. The underside also feels warmer than I've ever noticed right now but I've been trying to boot it for over an hour. I wouldn't think heat is an issue since it's been doing this even after sitting overnight.

Several other threads with the same symptoms, though on newer Macbook Pros and Airs running Mountain Lion, pointed to a failed video card. My video seems to be working as I get the Apple logo and progress wheel. I don't see any dead pixels

Any ideas? This old Macbook has been a workhorse for 6 years, never a problem until yesterday. My extended AppleCare expired 3 years ago 😟

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.7.4), 2.1Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2Gig RAM

Posted on Nov 27, 2012 8:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 27, 2012 8:46 AM

I found something... resetting the SMC finally got it to boot!

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3964?viewlocale=en_US

2 replies

Macbook4,1 won't boot at all

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.