Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Need Help Merging Hard Disk Partition on OS X Lion 10.7.5

Hi All,

My Mac was installed with a Windows too when i got it, after a while i brought it to Apple Store and they removed it for me. (When i had windows i need to start it up in boot camp.) I only realize it afterwards that the partition for Windows is still Greyed-Out. I tried a number of methods such as going to disk utility, terminal and Microsoft Boot Camp but it does not work as it says that i need installation disc.

Thanks.

Cheers,

MelC

Posted on Nov 27, 2012 9:05 AM

4 replies

Nov 27, 2012 9:09 AM in response to Macissa

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities

As I've understood you, Boot Camp volume still appears. To remove it, open Boot Camp Assistant and it should give you the option to remove Windows from your computer.

If it doesn't work:

1. Open Disk Utility and select the hard drive in the sidebar.

2. Go to Partitions tab, select BOOTCAMP volume and press - to remove the volume.

3. Select Macintosh HD and extend it to the end of the bar.

4. Press Apply

If nothing helps, make a backup, erase the drive and reinstall Mac OS X

Nov 27, 2012 9:15 AM in response to Macissa

Do you have an external drive with enough free space to contain the contents of your Mac's internal drive (i.e., the Used part when you do a Get Info on the Macintosh HD icon on the desktop)? If yes, you can clone the internal onto the external, boot from external, reformat internal, clone external back into internal and recover the full drive. With the added safety of ending up with a full backup of the drive.

Else if not, we can try to fiddle around with Disk Utility, BC Assistant and the like, and hopefully recover the lost space without screwing all up and losing everything. But it will be an icky exercise.

Need Help Merging Hard Disk Partition on OS X Lion 10.7.5

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.