Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Color problem = Dropbox problem?

When I export pics as JPGs, they look perfect on both of my Macs (Finder).

I uploaded them to my Dropbox pics folder: they look horrible there (Safari: Mac OS, iOS), way too much green.

So, where is the problem? Dropbox doesn't alter the pics, does it? But what if these pics look so horrible for everyone except myself?

Thanks a lot for a good idea!

Posted on Nov 27, 2012 9:38 AM

9 replies

Jul 26, 2013 12:31 PM in response to Peter R.

I was having the same problems, and after trying a few things, I think the issue is the following:

My guess is Dropbox saves a thumbnail/preview in some color space that is more limited than sRBG (or lower resolution, etc). This would enable them to limit bandwidth on any user just trying to "preview" the images. If you click on the preview link and save that image to your drive, you are only saving a copy of that thumbnail from dropbox, and thus lowering the quality of your photo. However, if you "download" the file to your disk, it takes a few more seconds (thus proving that the preview is a smaller file) and once you open the file you just downloaded to your disk, the photo pops up again in the right colors. I can't confirm this, but it sounds like what may be going on. In my case I have no issues if I open the files once I've downloaded them to my computer, but all the previews that appera from just clicking on the files that are listed in Dropbox in my web browser render horrible colors.

Hope this helps

Christian

Color problem = Dropbox problem?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.