Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sleep Mode

I have an iMac 21.7 MID 2011 with Mountain Lion 10.8.2.

Is there a difference between 2 Sleep mods :

1. On System Preferences - Energy Saver - Computer Sleep - See Pic 1

2. On Sleep mode under Apple Menu , See Pic 2

Thanks

PS

What is the recomend preferences in Energy Saver modes ?

Thanks

Ronen

Pic 1

User uploaded file

Pic 2

User uploaded file

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion, 10.8.2

Posted on Nov 27, 2012 11:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 27, 2012 12:19 PM

Selecting sleep under the Apple menu triggers the settings you have in Energy Saver Preferences. In other words, it activates sleep immediately when selected.

I don't think there is a recommended preference setting - here are mine:

Computer sleep: 1 hour

Display sleep: 10 mins

Put hard disks to sleep when possible - selected

Wake for network access - selected

Allow power button to put the computer sleep - selected

Start up automatically after a power failure - not selected.

However, if you asked ten different users what their settings are you would probably get eleven different answers 🙂.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 27, 2012 12:19 PM in response to rony-z

Selecting sleep under the Apple menu triggers the settings you have in Energy Saver Preferences. In other words, it activates sleep immediately when selected.

I don't think there is a recommended preference setting - here are mine:

Computer sleep: 1 hour

Display sleep: 10 mins

Put hard disks to sleep when possible - selected

Wake for network access - selected

Allow power button to put the computer sleep - selected

Start up automatically after a power failure - not selected.

However, if you asked ten different users what their settings are you would probably get eleven different answers 🙂.

Apr 4, 2014 3:11 PM in response to sandysanderson

There are 2 sleep modes. One is when the power saver time is past. The HD is shut down and video is turned off, and the CPU slows down, but CPU and RAM are left running for an instant restart.

Then there is deep sleep initated by the user either from the Apple Menu or by hitting command-option-eject on the keyboard. In this case, RAM and all system caches are saved to disk, and then the Mac is powered down, leaving only the Power Management Unit alive. This is almost like Shut Down, except when awakened the state of RAM etc. is reloaded from disk instead of doing a system boot. Waking is pretty fast, but slower than light sleep.

If a laptop on battery power is left long enough, it will go from sleep to deep sleep to save battery. You'll notice it takes longer to enter deep sleep because of writing everything to disk.

Sleep Mode

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.