Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Possible bug in either the iCloud software for the PC or outlook itself that affects views and filters within outlook contacts

Possible bug in either the iCloud software for the PC or outlook itself that affects views and filters within outlook contacts.

After installing the iCloud software on my PC my Outlook stopped working. Specifically the custom views I created for the contacts part of Outlook stopped working properly for contacts that have more than one (1) assigned custom categories. Long before iCloud came around, I was using custom categories within outlook to organize my contacts. I have almost 1000 contacts and some contacts have more than 5 different custom categories assigned. The custom views allow me to isolate specific groups of contacts using filters. Following the installation of the iCloud software all my contacts are moved under a new icloud group and the views fail to execute properly. Contacts with less than 2 assigned categories are unaffected. For contacts with two are more assigned categories, the filter behaves as if those contacts had no assigned categories.

If I disable the iCloud and log out, all contacts revert to prior location under my contacts and nothing will appear under the icloud group. All views then execute correctly. Once I re-enable and log back on to iCloud the contacts then shift back under the icloud group and the views fail to execute correctly. During this on and off toggling of the iCloud if I look at the categories assigned to the individual contacts, the categories are always viewable and present during each phase. When iCloud is enabled and contacts are under the icloud group it appears outlook is unable to properly present views or execute filters on contacts with more than 1assigned category.

The impact of this bug or limitation is significant and renders existing organization via categories useless. Further I have other software which depend on the view output and this software is again useless. My only workaround is to disable the icloud to perform such activities then re-enable. The problem with this is that there is some risk of dataloss and corruption in this process. Further I have experienced some duplication of data in the freeform notes field on the contact record. Cleaning up close to 1000 contacts is not fun.

Any solutions or workarounds would be appreciated

AppleTV 2, iOS 5.0.1

Posted on Nov 27, 2012 10:53 AM

2 replies

Nov 28, 2012 12:29 PM in response to lottytx

Update after completing Microsoft support call.

Was connected to senior Microsoft tech support rep via a paid support call on this matter. After a number of remote sessions and several escalations Microsoft arrived at their explanation as to why this is an icloud problem. Microsoft explained that apple has a closed solution based on imap or something like that and that the icloud creates a separate pst file that it uses to move and store the outlook contact records why the icloud software is active. The icloud special pst is stored locally on my PC but separate from the normal PST. Per Microsoft this is the root cause of the problem and its upto apple to fix it.

Possible bug in either the iCloud software for the PC or outlook itself that affects views and filters within outlook contacts

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.