Skip navigation

MTS File Conversion for iMovie

300 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Dec 2, 2012 1:39 AM by SKYTORT RSS
SKYTORT Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
Currently Being Moderated
Nov 27, 2012 3:50 PM

Dear Apple Support Community,

I am struggling with movie file conversions, and getting the optimum results from such a process before starting my editing work in iMovie.

I have a Canon HD camcorder which records movies according to AVCHD standards. Before using iMovie, I need to convert the .MTS files to a format which is compatible with iMovie, and I have tried the following:

1. Copy the files from the SD card on to my HDD.
    1. Using Toast 11 (Titanum), I have selected different profiles to convert the file to formats such as MOV, M4V, MP4 etc.
    2. The converted files yields a size that does not match the original one i.e. a 300 MB file after being converted, is now either 791 MB, or 96 MB in this case.
    3. When importing the converted file into iMovie, iMovie still wants to optimize the file for some reason (I believe using APPLE INTERMEDIATE CODEC resolves the optimization issue)
  2. Import the files directly from the SD card into iMovie, provided I have not altered the original file structure i.e. when inserting the SD card, iMovie recognizes the SD card the same way it would for connecting the Camera.
    1. When I select the videos to be imported, iMovie does so without hassles, but the files again turn out to be bigger than the original file by a factor of between 2 and 3, depending on the original file.

What is the best way to convert files to preserve the quality as close as possible to the original?

Is it normal for coverted files to be larger than the original file after being converted (smaller makes sense, but bigger just baffles me)

Thanks for any feedback!

• AppleMan1958 Level 7 Level 7 (27,335 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 27, 2012 4:18 PM (in response to SKYTORT)

The best way in iMovie is to import from your card directly to iMovie with the original file structure. It will be converted to Apple Intermediate Codec on import.

If you have Final Cut Pro X, import into FCPX from your card, and it will convert to ProRes 422 rather than AIC. ProRes is better if you are applying multiple renders, but this is not an issue for iMovie.

For why your AVCHD files get bigger, see my post here.

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-3941

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.