Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Help to transfer songs from Ipod to Computer

Hi

I need some help. I tried to transfer all my songs from my Ipod back to my computer using the suggestions I was given from this site and it didnt work. I used Itunes to get my Library back, but for some reason the Ipod only transferred 96 of my 985 songs back to Itunes ... why is this? I have my Ipod on manually update, so it doesnt sync with Itunes when it opens up. I checked both boxes marked "copy files to Itunes music folder when adding to your library" and also "keep Itunes music folder organsised" as I was told to ... did I do anything wrong or miss something? I also tried the other method where I used the Ipod as a portable computer disc and tried to drag the music folder to my hard drive. But even that didnt work. It only transferred half the songs and didnt even save them as their song names. It had an error and stopped half way.

Please help. I bought a portable harddrive to transfer all my songs to and really want to save them back to a safer device rather than the Ipod.

Thanks in advance
Caroline

Compaq Notebook Presario 2200, Windows XP

Posted on Apr 22, 2006 11:52 PM

9 replies

Apr 23, 2006 2:57 AM in response to caroline laffrey1

I believe these are the instructions you were trying to follow.

Open iTunes and select edit/preferences/advanced/general. Put a check mark in the box marked "copy files to iTunes music folder when adding to library" and also "keep iTunes music folder organized", then click 'ok'.

Connect the iPod whilst holding down the shift/ctrl keys to prevent any auto sync, and if you see the dialogue window asking if you want to sync to this itunes library, click 'no'.

Then go to file/add folder, open 'my computer', select your iPod and click 'ok'.

The music files should transfer to your iTunes.

There's also Yamipod. This is a free program that transfers music and playlists etc from iPod back to the computer.

Apr 23, 2006 5:25 PM in response to Jeff Bryan

Hi Jeff
Yes those were the instructions I tried to follow. I didnt get a box popping up asking if I wanted to sync with the library as my Ipod is on manual update. And when I did what you said, only 96 songs transferred across randomly. It didnt transfer the first 96 .. it transferred only certain songs from certain albums and artists ... I also tried Yamipod but I dont know how it works.
Caroline

Apr 23, 2006 5:34 PM in response to caroline laffrey1

Hey Caroline.. Now this can be done quite easily without any programs or none of the complex stuff. First go to Control Panel and choose Apperance and Themes, once you have done this click folder options, there will be a window that pops up, click the view tab and choose 'show all hidden files and folders' under hidden files and folders. Once you have done this you can minimize it, and then open my computer and click your ipod. One you have done this click 'ipod_control' click the folders to open them and copy the music. Make a new foler somewhere with easy access and paste them there. DO NOT RE-ARRANGE ANYTHING AS THIS CAN ALTER YOUR IPOD AND SONGS WONT PLAY. Hope this helped....need anymore help just reply back.

Kyle

Ipod 20GB Windows XP

Apr 24, 2006 5:24 PM in response to Jeff Bryan

Hi

Kyle thanks for your post but as Jeff said, I already tried that, and all that did was transfer half the songs from my ipod and give them all strange names ... I didnt know which song was which.

Jeff I did go to the help menu in Yamipod to try and see how to work it, but everytime I clicked on that menu a error message came up and said Yamipod needed to close. So I gave up trying and uninstalled Yamipod as it seemed to have a few bugs running through it.

Thanks very much for your suggestions and help ... do you have any other idea how I can get these songs off my Ipod ... or have I already exhausted all my options?

Regards
Caroline

Apr 25, 2006 3:53 AM in response to caroline laffrey1

Well, you've tried 3 options now and none of them have worked (I'm surprised about Yamipod, in my experience, it's one of the easiest and most reliable programs out there for retrieving songs). Maybe you got a corrupted version of Yamipod when you downloaded it?

There are other programs like Yamipod out there, but many are not free (although some have a free trial version).

I haven't used any of them except iPod Agent (when i was a Windows user), so I cannot recommend any of them personally.

You can Google for "music from iPod to computer Windows" for a host of ideas.

Maybe someone else can come up with recommendations for you.

Apr 25, 2006 4:22 AM in response to Jeff Bryan

Jeff

Thanks for that. I havent actually tried Yamipod yet because as I said it didnt seem to be working properly for me and kept saying it needed to close after an error message popped up. Then I went to the forum and so many people were reporting problems with Yamipod that I got wary and decided not to do it in case something happened. Both previous options I tried have failed even after trying them both two or three times, but they both get to the same amount of songs and then stop, leaving over 2/3 of my songs still on the Ipod and untransferred to my computer hard drive.

I will try Yamipod and see if that helps ... fingers crossed it does as I am not sure what else I can do if that also fails ... I have a question tho ... does Yamipod transfer songs under their song names?

Thanks again
Caroline

Compaq Notebook Presario 2200 Windows XP

Apr 25, 2006 5:12 AM in response to caroline laffrey1

"does Yamipod transfer songs under their song names?"

Yes. Remember to close iTunes though first. Yamipod won't work with it running.

This is how it works. I'm doing this from memory so bear with me.

Connect the iPod. Open Yamipod. Wait a few seconds. You should then see all the songs artists etc on your iPod in the Yamipod display.

Highlight all the songs you want to transfer. From the Yamipod menu (top of the screen), select song, then copy to.....

You should now see a window with "destination". Click on that and choose where you would like to send the songs. Desktop is probably easiest.

Now click "copy" and you should see a windows with the "copy from iPod" info and a progress bar. Depending on how many songs you have, this could take a while. You may want to do the songs in chunks, or one album at a time to check that they are all being copied correctly.

Once they've copied, the window closes. Check your desktop. The songs should be there.

Now, open iTunes, and go to file/add to library. Use that window to select 'desktop', click on the songs to highlight them, and select "choose".

Your songs should be back in iTunes with their correct names.

Try it with one song at first, see how you go.

Help to transfer songs from Ipod to Computer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.