Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have many questions about time capsule.

I have little problem with Time capsule (bought yesterday), I have 1 macbook pro and 1 Dell laptop (windows 7)

Mac is working well, no problem at all with time capsule. Any help that let me solve the problem I would be very very appreciate

For the windows 7 seems I can connect to it but everytime I am trying to access the data in the drive internet connection will be cut off. Sorry if my language confuse you I mean I can't travel the internet while accessing the time capsule harddisk AND if I am survey the internet I will be unable to get to time capsule as well.

And sometimes while transfering the data to time capsule, the connection between time capsule and my laptop is suddenly disconnected and cancel the files that being transfered. I am not sure why

So I am trying something else like connect to my old pc (windows xp SP3)

It worst than windows 7 because it can't connect to time capsule at all I will stuck at the 2 situations/cases,

first case

- internet connection is fine but cannot connect to time capsule (show up dialog as "user unknown, incorrect password, or login is disable, please retype....")

While I am trying to login from airport base station.

second case

- Internet connection is failed, trying to connect to time capsule at the airport base station dialog BUT dialog will appear as "Your internet connection is invalid please enable netBIOS (which I am 100% sure that I am already enabled the netBIOS)

Now I am so stuck at these problem, I am going to give the new time capsule that I just bought yesterday for my father for father's day and now I am stuck with these such of problems.

Google provide me lots of answers but still unable to figure out the exactly problem that I am encounter with.

I should listen to my dad, just buy SSD(Solid state drive) for my dad.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7), Need help

Posted on Nov 27, 2012 10:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 12:21 AM

Windows does not accept some apple names.. eg ones with spaces and ones with illegal characters like apostrophe..

So change all names on the TC.. that includes TC network name, wireless name and hard disk name to

Short.. no more than 12 characters although more is allowed.

No spaces..

Pure alphanumeric.

Make sure if you have a router already the TC is in bridge.

In the file sharing turn on guest access to read and write.

And set the correct WORKGROUP.

Now that is the start..

Load bonjour for windows or airport utility for windows into the laptop if you haven't already.

If you are using wireless do not be surprised at the difficulty in large file transfer.. that could be a wireless driver problem in win7 and dell laptops are the worst. See if you can get a more recent wireless driver.. but test if that is problem by using ethernet.. I bet half the problems go away immediately.

This issue is windows and its lousy wireless drivers rather than the TC.

Next issue is that TC is not really a file store.. it is designed as a target for Time Machine backups from Laptops in particular.. It is without any means of backing itself up.. it is really not suitable NAS for windows network.

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 28, 2012 12:21 AM in response to tanawoot

Windows does not accept some apple names.. eg ones with spaces and ones with illegal characters like apostrophe..

So change all names on the TC.. that includes TC network name, wireless name and hard disk name to

Short.. no more than 12 characters although more is allowed.

No spaces..

Pure alphanumeric.

Make sure if you have a router already the TC is in bridge.

In the file sharing turn on guest access to read and write.

And set the correct WORKGROUP.

Now that is the start..

Load bonjour for windows or airport utility for windows into the laptop if you haven't already.

If you are using wireless do not be surprised at the difficulty in large file transfer.. that could be a wireless driver problem in win7 and dell laptops are the worst. See if you can get a more recent wireless driver.. but test if that is problem by using ethernet.. I bet half the problems go away immediately.

This issue is windows and its lousy wireless drivers rather than the TC.

Next issue is that TC is not really a file store.. it is designed as a target for Time Machine backups from Laptops in particular.. It is without any means of backing itself up.. it is really not suitable NAS for windows network.

Nov 28, 2012 12:36 AM in response to LaPastenague

Just store file like a wireless driver is enough for my dad, my dad just want to store the data he needs, not the whole microsoft systems. right now I am not sure about accessible because I am using mac to change all the data you advised me to do so.

Name changed to shorter version and without space.

For the internet I am not sure I am just connect the TC from the main router at the second floor.

Mac work fine but I haven't try with windows xp yet.

User uploaded file

IPv4 address still not show up, this does meaning something? Please see the image so anyone can help me imagine what happend.

Nov 28, 2012 1:47 AM in response to tanawoot

You list of issues.. is marked ignore.. because it clearly states the issues...

You have setup over WAN turned on.. Turn it off.

The Ethernet is Unplugged .. that is the WAN is not connected.. Plug it in.

Internet Connection .. that means there is none.. a 169.254.x.x address is self address and there is no real connection.

No DNS is last issue but you need to fix all the above, then it will have DNS.

The Mac is working probably because it has an IP from somewhere else..

But you need to press reset on the TC and start over..

Make sure you are plugged by ethernet into the main router.. to the TC.. if you keep getting Ethernet Unplugged errors you have to find the cause.

Nov 28, 2012 7:55 AM in response to tanawoot

I have fixed the problem of can't find the time capsule in airport utilities now I just can't login to Time Capsule via Airport disk, it appear as below

User uploaded file

Actually this problem will not appear after reboot the computer, after restarted drive z appear correctly and stay there as usual until I am trying to transfer the file into drive and then dialog appear "please make sure that you still connect to time capsule" something like that.

After that drive z is disconnected and when trying to login it is appear as above screenshot, I have to restart computer to get access to drive z again for short amount of time, that is waste.

Nov 28, 2012 11:18 AM in response to tanawoot

Transferring large files over wireless is a windows driver problem 80% of the time.

In the file sharing section of airport utility.. set the guest account to read and write.

Make sure the workgroup is set correctly.

And see if the issue exists over ethernet.. if not then the wireless problem might be either side.

In the TC set fixed radio channels.. and use different name for 2.4ghz and 5ghz so you can force the laptop to the connection you want.

Nov 28, 2012 8:14 PM in response to LaPastenague

Thanks for your help.

The problem of can't login now solved I found 1 thread in google about change password from devide password to account After that login problem is completely gone.

Right now I haven't test the transfering file via windows yet, MAC still work fine for guess account or even user account. User login of Windows XP and 7 has been fixed.

Tonight will try to transfer file from TC to windows.

Hope all problem solve.

I have many questions about time capsule.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.