Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MBP mid-2012 hibernates after a while when lid closed

Hi there

For a couple of weeks I have a new mid2012 (non-retina) MacBook Pro. I observed some odd behavior when the Mac sleeps. After a couple of hours it will enter hibernate / suspend-to-disk mode. Correspondingly the indicatior ligth will stop pulsating. Once I open the lid the MBP will automatically resume from hibernate mode (Since I use Full Disk encryption I need to enter my credentials twice then.). This also happens when my Mac is on AC power. All my previous MacBook slept until infinity if I didn't open the lid.

I would like to know if Apple introduced a new sleep behavior for laptops with Mountain Lion or if this is actually a bug. Did anyone else observe this phenomenon?

MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Nov 27, 2012 11:59 PM

11 replies

Nov 28, 2012 10:27 PM in response to n748

I have the same behavior. I also use full disk encryption.

Very annoying. 😟 However I'm glad to know I'm not the only one, I was beginning to think I may have hardware issues!

pmset output for reference:

Active Profiles:

Battery Power -1

AC Power -1*

Currently in use:

standbydelay 4200

standby 0

womp 0

halfdim 1

hibernatefile /var/vm/sleepimage

sms 1

networkoversleep 0

disksleep 10

sleep 0

autopoweroffdelay 14400

hibernatemode 3

autopoweroff 1

ttyskeepawake 1

displaysleep 3

acwake 0

lidwake 1

Nov 28, 2012 11:21 PM in response to egsl

Unfortunately I didn't have the time to investigate the phenomenon any closer. All I realised is, that in the evening when I want to use my MBP it hibernated. Judging from pmset my first guess would be after 14400 secomds. My hypothesis is that the Power Nap feature is not working as it is supposed to.

Here is my pmset:

Currently in use:

Battery Power -1

AC Power -1*

standbydelay 4200

standby 0

womp 0

halfdim 1

hibernatefile /var/vm/sleepimage

gpuswitch 2

sms 1

networkoversleep 0

disksleep 10

sleep 10

autopoweroffdelay 14400

hibernatemode 0

autopoweroff 1

ttyskeepawake 1

displaysleep 8

acwake 0

lidwake 1

Nov 28, 2012 11:22 PM in response to zion_

From your pmset, i noticed that sleep value is 0, does that mean that you set your MacBook Pro never goes to auto sleep?

My sleep is 10 and it goes to sleep after 10 minutes automatically.

Your standby value is 0, meaning that it does not hibernate while is on battery. Your autopoweroff is 1 means that while is on charger it goes to hibernate after sleeping for 4 hrs.

Not sure if i have interpret them correctly...

Nov 28, 2012 11:33 PM in response to n748

Hi n748,

I hv almost the same settings as yours accept for that gpuswitch which i dont know what it does.

I think powernap is only applicable to MacBook Pro with retina display or with ssd.

My MacBook Pro is non-retina display and has no ssd.

Let's hope apple will solve our issue quickly. :) I am so tempted to go inside terminal and change those values myself.

Dec 30, 2012 4:18 AM in response to n748

I have same problem with same model of MacBook Pro. I think, that this happens after some system update from Apple, before my MacBook can be in sleep infinity time. But now after 4 hours (14400/3600) go to hibernation. Solution is change "autopoweroff 1" to "autopoweroff 0", but I dont know, if this is bug from Apple side or it is only change in power policy.

Jan 1, 2013 3:03 PM in response to n748

I have this exact same probelm and the exact same MPB (mid 2012, I bought mine in June). I took it in 7 times now. They replaced the RAM twice, hard drive+cable, logic board, top case (sleep sensor), and battery, plus wiping the drive and reinstalling the OS a couple times)...to no avail! Since they can't replicate it in-store, they basically don't believe me and say they won't do any more repairs, much less replace it. I really hope is just an OS update bug and it will be fixed soon. Good lord, the time I've wasted at the genius bar....

Jan 17, 2013 2:33 PM in response to n748

Good luck, I have been dealing with this since the beginning of December. Since I was an Apple employee I did a bit more troubleshooting before going through a senior advisor.

First of all my mid 2012 MBP only hibernates while on the charger overnight or for more than 6 hours of sleep.

It NEVERS does this with charger unplugged and only on battery, (where this feature supposedly only works)

I tried several different chargers-still did it.

Did and archive and install-same thing.

Partitioned hard drive and reinstalled operating system-still same thing again.

Took it back to store and had a genius work on it for 2 days- he did find something strange and re-wrote the coding seemed to work, went back in and went back to factory settings and guess what, still same problem.

Now senior applecare tech wants me to take it back again to store for a total wipe and restore, awesome huh?

Funny part, I purchased 3 macbook pros on leaving Apple, other two never had updates done and are working fine, mine is not. My old MacBook, iMac and Air do not have this problem either.

My son-in-law is also experiencing the same problem on his 2011 MBP.

Genius at Apple did tell me that sometimes upgrades can cause strange little issues, guess so, huh?

Here's the best one, at one point applecare told me it's good to hibernate, saves your hard drive.

Good luck, I for one am frustrated.

Jan 17, 2013 3:47 PM in response to Luv2takephotos

Here a link to another thread that has thoroughly discussed and dealt with this issue:
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4512384?start=0&tstart=0

It's still somewhat under debate what the cause is, but there are a number of solutions scattered throughout the thread. As for me, I changed my autopoweroffdelay to 24 hours (86400 sec), and it hasn't gone into hibernation since. To do this, enter into terminal:

sudo pmset -a autopoweroffdelay 86400

For me this was a sufficient patch until the new OSX update comes out and hopefully addresses the issue. Some users wanted to ensure that the RAM was being ultimately utilized for instant-on and so they tweaked a few other settings. If that's important to you, it can be found in the thread.

I'll also note that apple did EIGHT major repairs on my computer then finally replaced it (RAM twice, hard drive, logic board, battery, top case, bottom case, some cable thing, sleep sensor, in addition to multiple clean wipes etc...), and the issue persists on the brand new machine, even before I added any software or data whatsoever. My spouse has an identical computer bought at the same time (June 2012) and was never updated to Mountain Lion. That computer has no issues and never goes into hibernation. I think you can draw your own conclusions from that! 😉

MBP mid-2012 hibernates after a while when lid closed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.