Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Plug-In failure on OS X 10.8.2 after updating to Oracle Java SE7

I have developed sample COCOA-64 bit web application using Webkit Framework with all plug In settings enabled (setJavaEnabled:YES setPlugInsEnable:YES). I have tried to load Juniper SSL webvpn url which in turn uses Java applet plug-In to launch VPN connection in the webview. This completely works fine in Java SE 6 (the previous version of Java) in 10.8.2 .

But the Juniper Java applet has been failed to load after updating OS X 10.8.2 to latest Java SE 7 from Oracle (version 1.7.0_09). I dont know the reason why plugin is fails in my sample always. Every thing works fine with Safari.

Thanks in advance.Any help would be appreciated.

Note: Test java applet url (http://www.java.com/en/download/testjava.jsp) to check the Java version always shows "plug-in Failure"msg in my sample application.

.User uploaded file

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.2), In 10.6.8 also its happening.

Posted on Nov 27, 2012 11:01 PM

16 replies

Dec 25, 2012 10:26 PM in response to yoel_us

Thanks for your reply,

I didn't resolve this issue yet, It looks like the Java applet that web page tries to load is not compatible once after I had upgraded to latest Java (version 1.7.0_09).

But the workaround for this issue is restore back the previous version of Java. (Java SE 1.6.0_37) provided by apple.

Refer this link : http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5559

Dec 25, 2012 10:35 PM in response to hariharanfrmblr

Thanks, as you suggested I restored it back to Java SE 1.6.0_37 and seems to work okay. I do wonder how is that Safari and FireFox work just fine and not WebView. Also, although this might be a different question I appologise for that, did your WebView could access the Java Plug-in (with Java SE 1.6.0_37) after you sandbox it?

In any case, thanks for letting me know that this is an unresolved issue.

Dec 25, 2012 10:54 PM in response to hariharanfrmblr

I agree with you. I feel that should be just easy yet I loose the Java Plug-in capability of my WebView once I tick that box on Xcode. And if I untick it the WebView plays the Java Applet just fine. Clearly some extra work is required to allow the WebView access the Java Plug-in in the sandbox but I haven't figure out what and haven't found literature/blog about it.

Feb 4, 2013 11:54 AM in response to hariharanfrmblr

Hi, did you find a solution for this issue? We also have a Cocoa 64-bit application that uses WebKit and the plugin crashes for us too.

We can reproduce the problem using a simple project that just loads the http://www.java.com/en/download/testjava.jsp URL into a WebView. The plugin works fine on 10.7.5, but crashes on 10.8.2.

We started experiencing this problem with the 1.7u11 version of the plugin. Version 1.7u10 worked fine.

Aug 12, 2013 7:54 PM in response to hariharanfrmblr

I used to have the same problem with WebView based applications, but am now able to run them fine.

To get the Juniper Network Connect VPN client to work, I needed to modifying some Java settings. I am using Mac OS X 10.8.4 (Mountain Lion), Java 7 Update 25, and Network Connect version 7.3.3. This method may not be ideal for all users/situations, so please check with your network and/or security folks FIRST for proper advice.

In the Java control panel, go to 'Advanced' tab, scroll down to 'Mixed Code (sandboxed vs. trusted) security

verification' and choose 'Disable verification (not recommended)'.

Aug 12, 2013 10:03 PM in response to hariharanfrmblr

I have 'Enable Java content in the browser' set.

I have Security Level set to 'High (minimum recommended)' right now, but I thought I had it on 'Medium'.

For manage certificates, I removed the Trusted Certificate for 'User' that was used by the WebView application (Network Connect).

Under advanced, debugging has no check boxes, java console is not started, shortcut creation is prompt user if hinted, jnlp is prompt user, application installation is install if hinted, secure execution evironment is top 5 boxes checked and sixth unchecked, mixed code is disable verification, perform certificate revocation is all certificates in the chain of trust, check for certificate revocation is both CRL and OCSP, advanced security is first 3 boxes checked as well as SSL 3.0 and TLS 1.0.

Good luck

Plug-In failure on OS X 10.8.2 after updating to Oracle Java SE7

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.