Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to stop persistent connection to smb server on login

Since upgrading from Snow Leopard to Mountain Lion, every time I login I get a series of 5 errors saying that a particular server share is not available, as follows:

User uploaded file

The server in question is a Windows PC on my LAN but the quoted share name isn't an actual share at all but rather the PC's computer name.

I want to stop Mountain Lion from persistently attemmpting to connect to this server/share name but I cannot find what is initiating the connection. I have checked the following but nothing is listed in any of these with this server/share name:

• Login items in System Preferences > Users & Groups
  • Finder window (although the server name is listed with other Bonjour Computers under Shared in the sidebar but NOT mounted/connected)
  • Favorite Servers or Recent Servers in Finder > Go > Connect to Server...
  • Disk Utility
  • Desktop.

This behaviour has only occurred since upgrading to Mountain Lion (currently on 10.8.2).

Any ideas how I can stop this persistent attempt to connect or how I can find what is initiating it on login?

MacBook, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 3:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 3:50 AM

It can be caused by any application that starts up on login as has newtork references to the Windows PC.

i.e. do you have iTunes starting up which may use home sharing and try to read library from the PC?

You can start Keychain (Applications/Utilities) and check for everything with references to that Windows computer. This will halp to work out what may be using it.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 28, 2012 3:50 AM in response to DamselNeedingHelp

It can be caused by any application that starts up on login as has newtork references to the Windows PC.

i.e. do you have iTunes starting up which may use home sharing and try to read library from the PC?

You can start Keychain (Applications/Utilities) and check for everything with references to that Windows computer. This will halp to work out what may be using it.

How to stop persistent connection to smb server on login

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.