Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Disk Utility: Invalid Directory Item Count

I have noticed a minor problem with my Mac Pro when restarting. Sometimes it will fail to restart correctly and simply displays the grey screen (but not the apple icon). Usually powering down the Mac Pro will get it to start up correctly. Not ideal, but manageable.

I ran Disk Utility earlier to check what may be causing this issue and was given the following after Verifying Disk:

Verifying volume “Macintosh HD”

Checking file systemPerforming live verification.

Checking Journaled HFS Plus volume.

Checking extents overflow file.

Checking catalog file.

Checking multi-linked files.

Checking catalog hierarchy.

Invalid directory item count

(It should be 33 instead of 32)

Checking extended attributes file.

Checking volume bitmap.

Checking volume information.

The volume Macintosh HD was found corrupt and needs to be repaired.

Error: This disk needs to be repaired using the Recovery HD. Restart your computer, holding down the Command key and the R key until you see the Apple logo. When the Mac OS X Utilities window appears, choose Disk Utility.

If I restart and launch Recovery HD will I lose any data or mess things up? The machine works perfectly fine once booted and I was none the wiser to this error until I ran disk utility. The timing is unfortunate as I have just ordered a replacement drive for Time Machine due to an unrelated external hard drive error, so I don't have a recent backup which is a bit unnerving.

I want to run Recovery HD but I'm worried its going to cause a problem on an otherwise fully operational machine. I don't want to create an issue unless there is one (especially when I dont have a secure backup for a few more days). I also have Disk Warrior which has been fantastic in the past, but I cannot use it on the Mackintosh HD as it wont allow rebuilding of the startup disc.

So my question is: Should I run recovery HD now or just wait until I have a secure backup just in case it screws up? Is it possible Recovery HD may "create" a problem for me on my machine which runs and operates perfectly (minus the restart problem).

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 1:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 5:55 AM

I went into Recovery HD and ran Disk Utility. It verified and repaired the permissions without any data loss or problems. As a bonus the boot problem seems to have been recitifed.

2 replies

Disk Utility: Invalid Directory Item Count

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.