Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is there a way to view all the messages in a folder containing subfolders?

I use Mac Mail for my work email (becuase I hate entourage...), but the way it displays messages within folders is really inconvenient. Let's say I have a folder for a client (Brand XYZ) and within that folder I have subfolders (Campaign A, Project B, Other). If I want to view all the emails for the highest folder (Brand XYZ) there doesn't seem to be an option to view all the messages for that folder without going through each subfolder and viewing its contents.

How I see it:

Brand XYZ - only generic emails that don't pertain to a specific topic

• Campaign A - only emails regarding this campaign
  • Project B - only emails regarding this project

How I want to see it:

Brand XYZ - ALL EMAILS; generic emails that don't pertain to a specific topic & emails within subfolders

• Campaign A - only emails regarding this campaign
  • Project B - only emails regarding this project

Is there any way of doing this??? Thanks for the help! 🙂

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7), 2.8GHz, i7, 4GB RAM, 500GB HD

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 8:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 9:02 AM

I assume the folder and subfolder you refer to are local mailboxes created for specific clients and subfolders within. If so, how are you moving them to these mailboxes?

In order to view messages in a local folder and also a subfolder, you would have a copy of the message in each folder. If you are using rules to accomplish how they are moved, you could set it to copy instead of moving the message to the subfolder. That would mean more space for storage when duplicating emails.

There is a Smart Mailbox option.

Smart mailboxes are more of a search feature with preset criteria. Messages remain in the mailboxes they were stored in, but can be accessed in the smart mailbox. You can also create Smart Mailbox Folders in which you can put sub smart mailboxes within like you do with regular mailboxes. This seems like it would be a much better option for you.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 28, 2012 9:02 AM in response to skaiser

I assume the folder and subfolder you refer to are local mailboxes created for specific clients and subfolders within. If so, how are you moving them to these mailboxes?

In order to view messages in a local folder and also a subfolder, you would have a copy of the message in each folder. If you are using rules to accomplish how they are moved, you could set it to copy instead of moving the message to the subfolder. That would mean more space for storage when duplicating emails.

There is a Smart Mailbox option.

Smart mailboxes are more of a search feature with preset criteria. Messages remain in the mailboxes they were stored in, but can be accessed in the smart mailbox. You can also create Smart Mailbox Folders in which you can put sub smart mailboxes within like you do with regular mailboxes. This seems like it would be a much better option for you.

Nov 28, 2012 9:13 AM in response to Glenn Leblanc

I created a smart mailbox equivalent to the highest level folder and that helped quite a bit! I use some rules to auto filter some things, but the majority of the time I just move things by hand becuase I keep creating new folders and I don't to keep creating rules.

Is it possible for smart mailboxes to include "all" and "any" filters? I want to have a wide array of things it can include but I also want to exclude some stuff. I thought about using boolean for the filter terms but not sure if that will work. Any ideas? Thank you again for the help!!!!

Nov 28, 2012 9:30 AM in response to skaiser

No, you can't mix "all" and "any" filters. You can only select one. I haven't had a lot of success using boolean for filtering. Only thing I can say is try it. If it works for you in the Mail search window, it should work in the smart mailbox search.

For creating search criteria filters, only thing I can suggest is think about what you want it to show. Then look at the criteria given in smart mailboxes and think about what the best way to achieve it would be using the any or all. You may need to create seperate SMs for different criteria. As I said, you can put smart mailboxes in a smart mailbox folder, but you can put a SM in a local mailbox or within another SM.

You could also use SM in conjunction with the local mailboxes. If you are moving messages to seperate local mailboxes, you could just use the SM to view all messages from a particular client. That would make more since than moving the message to a main local mailbox and then copying them to subfolders so they can be viewed from both. The big downside to that is duplicate messages, but if it works for you then that's OK.

Nov 28, 2012 9:48 AM in response to skaiser

I haven't tried boolean search since first installing Lion. I didn't have good results from it back then. It might be better now.

Here is an article from Apple on using search feature in spotlight. Try them in SM and see if it works there.

http://support.apple.com/kb/PH11176?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

Also, open up the help menu in Mail and type in boolean search. It will give you some info there.

If that doesn't give you enough info, you might also try google search on using boolean search with Apple ML.

Is there a way to view all the messages in a folder containing subfolders?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.