Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Change key signature/time signature in middle of GBand song

Doing midi arrangement with 4/4 and 3/4 sections. Also, a key change (F to G) in the middle of the song. Can' make GB do this. Please help!

GarageBand (Mac) '11, iOS 6.0.1

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 9:51 AM

9 replies

Oct 6, 2017 5:07 AM in response to Irishfolk

I noticed that Garageband ( at least 10.2.0 ) recognizes time signature changes in imported midi files, so can can set up your timesig change layout in any external midi sequencer, and then import that file. I could not find a way to edit/move these thereafter though. For this example I used Rosegarden in a Linux virtual machine under Virtualbox:

User uploaded file

Nov 28, 2012 9:57 AM in response to Irishfolk

Irishfolk wrote:

Doing midi arrangement with 4/4 and 3/4 sections. Also, a key change (F to G)

GB is restricted to a signle time signature and key per project.

however you could work on the song in sections for the time signature: work on the 4/4 portion, then change the signature to 3/4 and work on that section, it has no effect on how the song plays, only the notational view (and of course the metronome).

for the key change, as long as you're playing the music yourself, the key that's shown won't affect what you play, jsut the notational view will be off. if you're using loops, you might try using the Master Track's pitch change automation (of course noting that a major loop won't turn into a minor loops, etc)

Nov 28, 2012 10:06 AM in response to Irishfolk

You can change the key from F to G by adding an automation to the Master track; raise the Master Pitch by two semitones for the G-Part of the song.

But it is not possible to set two different time signatures forparts of the song.

The only workaround is to switch the time signature temporarily to the one you need for the part on the song you are working on, and then reset it later. Your midi will not change by this.

Regards

Léonie

User uploaded file

Nov 29, 2012 7:15 AM in response to Irishfolk

Again, not the answer I wanted, but its the right one I am finding.

You might consider to upgrade to Logic, if you need this feature frequently and would profit from the other more advanced options. Not to be able to change the time signature, is the one thing about GarageBand that I really don't like. But I decided to stick with GarageBand anyway, because I like its simplicity.

Perhaps one day this will be added to GarageBand - when I started with GarageBand, it was impossible to change the tempo, but now you can.

You may want to send feedback to Apple, that you need this feature:

http://www.apple.com/feedback/garageband.html

Regards

Léonie

Change key signature/time signature in middle of GBand song

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.