Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Moving to Optimum, looking for modem recommendations/setup

Hi!

I've about had it with my Verison DSL. The last straw was raising the rate to $34.99/mo and its inability - TWICE - to let me update TomTom US & Canada on my iPhone last night. Add to that mysterious dropouts, and extreme slowness using my Apple TV.

My local cable provider is Optimum, so I guess I'm going that route, a la carte for $49.99/mo. sometime after the first of the year. I won't be getting TV (I have Dish), or IP phone (iPhone).

I've been using an AEBS (latest model) for a while, and with the DSL, I never was able to get the Westell modem into Bridge mode so I could properly configure my AEBS for a guest network. So, the AEBS has been the "bridge", and the Westell distributed the ips to all my toys.

I'm looking for any recommendations on which cable modem to get. Is the one that Optimum provides gong to be good enough? Are there others I should look into buying?

Will I be able to get that modem into "bridge" mode, so I can set up my own networks with the AEBS?

MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2), And other Macs and iOS toys...

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 11:56 AM

1 reply

Nov 28, 2012 12:40 PM in response to Larry West

'm looking for any recommendations on which cable modem to get. Is the one that Optimum provides gong to be good enough?

Do you know if this device is a "simple" modem? Or, is it a "gateway" device which is a combination "modem/router" in the same box?

A "gateway" or combination "modem/router" will require that the AirPort be configured in Bridge Mode....not what you want.

You should expect that it will not be possible to configure a "gateway" or "modem/router" to act as a simple bridge mode modem. Even if you might be able to do this, the service provider will likely not provide support you with this type of configuration.

Do you know the make and model number of the "modem"?

Generally, it is almost always best to use a modem that the service provider furnishes...to insure that you will get support in the event of a connection problem.

If the service provider furnishes a list of recommended modems....which they will support....that would be the next thing to look at. But, avoid a "gateway" or "modem/router" type of device.

Moving to Optimum, looking for modem recommendations/setup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.