Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

App Store shows Updates Available but no apps to update

Ever since the App Store app crashed it now always shows one update available, however, when I switch over to the UPDATES section, the only app it shows (CraigShopper, FYI) is already updated.

How do I get rid of this annoying and erroneous message that 1 Update Available?

PM 2x2.3, MP 2x2.66 Duo, MP 2x2.8 Quad and MBP 2.26 Duo Unibody, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 1:16 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 1:56 PM

What do you have that is hidden?

Mac App Store: Hiding and unhiding purchases

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4928

17 replies

Nov 30, 2012 4:40 AM in response to Ken Auggie

Just a status update:

While Spotlight was indexing I had a power outtage rendering my SSD boot drive as unbootable. I booted into the recovery partition and had to reinstall Mountain Lion and was able to boot the SSD successfully.

The Mac Store still showed 1 Update Available, but this time the lone app (CraigShopper) was shown as INSTALL, so I had it reinstall. Unfortunately, that didn't get rid of the irritating 1 Update Available.

So I'm starting the Spotlight indexing again and crossing my fingers I don't go through another power interruption...

Nov 30, 2012 11:11 PM in response to Ken Auggie

Holy Cow, what horrible bad timing for bad luck.

Anyhow, could have been worse (hardware fried).

Do you use time machine, or another backup mechanism like SuperDuper, etc? Often the MAS can see older BACKUPS if apps on another volume, and then it gets stuck in a stupid method of wanting to update THAT backup, despite your already have the newest version on another volume.

Dec 1, 2012 5:48 AM in response to HACKINT0SH

No Time Machine but I do use ChronoSync. However, that only backups data to another drive on the Mac Pro; no apps are backed up.

On that note, 4 of the 5 drives in the Mac Pro (4 in regular bays plus the SSD on the "extra" SATA port) have an OS on them: 10.8, 10.7, 10.6 and a dual-booting Windows (XP/7). Most of my applications are on the 10.7 drive and I'm normally booted on the 10.8 SSD drive. This has not resulted in any erroneous updates available before; it was only after the App Store app crashed on my 10.8 drive that it started flagging an update available.

I also have CraigShopper on the 10.7 drive, but that was updated to the latest version as well when I was booted into 10.7 and used its App Store to update it.

I could disconnect all other drives and boot the SSD to see if the error is still present...

Dec 12, 2012 11:03 AM in response to HACKINT0SH

I finally got around to disconnecting all other drives and the "ghost update" disappeared... until I reconnected the drives back up. Interesting thing is, I added each drive, restarted, then launched the Mac App Store. The ghost update did not reappear until I added the final drive, which is only a data drive (no apps are installed whatsoever on it).

I haven't tried a lengthy "normal" usage as I add each drive, which is probably next on my investigative process...

App Store shows Updates Available but no apps to update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.