Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Email account not from ISP?

I'm not on the Mac Mini or Mountain Lion yet, but it's just days away. I plan to change my current ISP account to email-only, and bundle a new ISP with other existing services. Will my incoming and outgoing email server settings in Mail change? How do I know the correct new settings? The correct *old* settings were hard enough - I struck out completely and only have email on Apple Mail now because of a local repair shop.

Mac mini (Late 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8)

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 2:13 PM

4 replies

Nov 28, 2012 2:27 PM in response to mende1

Of course - the backup is essential to migrating from my G4 [no kidding] to the Mini. By tonight, I expect to have all my files and setting transferred to the Mini, running Mail, and on the 'net thru my current DSL. In the coming days, I will end the DSL account be email-only with that provider, and my ISP will be someone else. So the question is, do my Apple Mail incoming and outgoing server settings change when I go from email-thru-ISP to email from one provider and ISP from another, and if so exactly how?

Nov 29, 2012 9:57 AM in response to mende1

Actually, it appears they rent hardware, so I'll be using a cable modem [yet to acquire] and an Apple AirPort router, which the new ISP said is "a great choice." I haven't opened the box yet, so I don't know what I'm in for re configuration, but if the Apple Mail settings for mail servers don't change, I'll be way ahead this time Saturday morning 🙂

Email account not from ISP?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.