Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is my iPod Touch considered obsolete now?

I have a 2nd generation iPod Touch(which I just found out, thought it was a 3rd generation), 16 GB, model # A1288.

I have hardly been able to download any apps because it says most are not compatible with my ios. However, every time I go to update my ipod it says it has the latest software. I have lots of room left on my iPod, more than half in fact so is my iPod considered a dinasaur now and won't be able to use it much longer?

thanks for any help, suggestions

iPod touch, iOS 4.2

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 12:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 12:38 PM

Nope, you can find a list of obsolete Apple products here -> Vintage and obsolete products

You can still use it and it probably has more features than it had when you bought it, but in order to get the latest version of iOS you'll need a new iPod touch. Even if you could put iOS 6 on that iPod touch, it might not preform as well as as iOS 4 when running on that iPod.

16 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 28, 2012 12:38 PM in response to Mesing2u

Nope, you can find a list of obsolete Apple products here -> Vintage and obsolete products

You can still use it and it probably has more features than it had when you bought it, but in order to get the latest version of iOS you'll need a new iPod touch. Even if you could put iOS 6 on that iPod touch, it might not preform as well as as iOS 4 when running on that iPod.

Nov 28, 2012 12:36 PM in response to Mesing2u

If it does what you still need, it's not obsolete. If it no longer does, then it is obsolete. Developers are choosing to only support versions of iOS newer than will run on your iPod, iOS 4.2.1, so you'll have fewer and fewer new apps available to you. Whether that makes it obsolete is something you'll have to decide for yourself. It's still going to do exactly what it did when you bought it, though, and more.

Regards.

Nov 28, 2012 12:50 PM in response to varjak paw

Thats what I thought 😟 Yes it does what I want but it is aggravating when I want to download new apps and can't....guess I'm stuck with my same old, same old. I am beginning to think I am the only person left in the world who still owns a 2nd generation iPod Touch. Lol! I will use it till it falls apart!

thanks for the help

Jan 16, 2013 9:32 AM in response to varjak paw

It appearw that Apple is helping with not supporing iOS 4.2.1 and below since:

iOS 4.2.1 app compatibilty dropped when Apple stopped providing an iOS 4.2.1 coding stuff in the new xcode 4.5.2 update. All it lists is ios 6, 5, and 4.3. *****. I have a 2g ipod touch aswell so i hear your pain.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3752543?start=15&tstart=0

Jan 16, 2013 9:44 AM in response to lllaass

It's true that Xcode 4.5.x does not allow a developer to target anything earlier than iOS 4.3, but Xcode 4.4 is still available and should allow development of apps that target earlier iOS versions. I haven't tried to submit an app targeted to earlier versions, though, so I can't say that the App Store would reject such an app.

Regards.

Aug 21, 2015 9:18 AM in response to lllaass

I agree. My gen 4 iPod Touch will use iOS 8.4.1 (latest release), although it has issue with wi-fi connectivity now, since the original 8.4 release. I connect it to my Mac Pro, running 10.9, Mavericks. The iOS 8.4 seems to have affected many devices since its update, but 8.4.1 at the least, corrected the issue with connecting to a desktop computer and using iTunes for back up.

Is my iPod Touch considered obsolete now?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.