Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airport extreme with Linksys connected and DVR

I have a airport extreme with a linksys router connected and a DVR connected to the Linksys.

I had the DVR and camera working with just the Linksys router, all was setup with portforwarding etc.

I have the two routers working with wifi on both but need to get the DVR working.

How do I set up the Airport and do I need to change anything on the Linksys router?

Thanks,

Tom

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 1:43 PM

6 replies

Nov 28, 2012 6:28 PM in response to 544tom

Just to make sure I understand your current network configuration is the 802.11n AirPort Extreme Base Station (AEBSn) your main router and you have the Linksys router connected back to it via an Ethernet connection? If this is correct, how do you have the Linksys configured to work with the AEBSn? That is, do you have it reconfigured as a bridge?

Nov 28, 2012 7:05 PM in response to 544tom

If you didn't make any configuration changes on the Linksys it will still be acting as a router with both its NAT & DHCP service enabled. Typically when you have two or more routers in series you would want to reconfigure the downstream routers as bridges (both NAT & DHCP disabled). This would allow the "main" router to provide these services to network clients regardless of which router they are connected to and allow all clients to be on the same network subnet so that they can "see" each other.

The alternative would be to move the Linksys back to being your main router and reconfiguring the Extreme as a bridge. You can connect the DVR to either as you require. Only the router with NAT enabled needs to be configured for port forwarding.

Nov 29, 2012 2:44 PM in response to 544tom

If i set the Linksys router to bridge mode, will it still have wifi?

Yes

Will it be a different ssid?

You can configure it to use the same SSID as the AirPort or use a completely different SSID. Earlier on before Apple provided simultaneous dual-band versions of the base stations a common way to support 802.11n and non-"n" clients was to operate two different wireless routers with different SSIDs.

Airport extreme with Linksys connected and DVR

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.