Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Comparing Computer Processors

Before I spend gobs of money on a new computer -

Here's what I have:

Mac Pro 2006 - 2 x 3 GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon

Here's the choice of what to buy:

2.4GHz 12-Core (2 - 2.4GHz 6 Core) (E5645 processor) - 12GB RAM - ATI Radeon HD5770

OR

3.33GHz 6-Core (W3680 processor) - 12GB RAM - ATI Radeon HD5770

I do promos and other videos using FCP X and looking for all around SPEED.

One more thing: what does "Turbo Boost up to 3.6GHz" mean? Turbo Boost?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 2:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 2:24 PM

Basic way to compare: 12 x 2.4 = 28.8

6 x 3.33 = 19.9

The top number is bigger than the bottom number, so that's the faster machine.

TurboBoost is an Intel feature that allows the CPU to run at a faster clock speed when under heavy load.

2 replies

Nov 28, 2012 2:35 PM in response to Kappy

Let me add to this so you don't go away with wrong idea.

The comparison is not entirely valid because the two CPUs are not the same. You also need to look at the caches and cache sizes as well as the speed of accessing caches and regiters internally. The only "'true" comparison is to benchmark each identically and with the identical configuration.

For example, under heavy load the 3.33 GHz CPU can boost up to, say 3.6 GHz, giving it a maximum speed of 22.8 which is closer to the 12-core model's, whose CPU does not support TurboBoost, maximum.

Generally specaking a lot of tasks don't demand all cores, but if a task creates a large number of threads, then the 12-core model can process more threads than the 6-core can.

I hope this doesn't confuse your decision more than it helps. 🙂

Comparing Computer Processors

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.