Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Will the original iPad 1 upgrade to iOs 6 ?

Using original iPad 1

Current iOs is 5.1.1

It will not upgrade to iOs 6

Did apple stop supporting original iPad ?

iPad, iOS 5.1.1

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 2:42 PM

11 replies

Nov 29, 2012 7:26 AM in response to brian10253

Actually its almost 3 years old now. As it was announced in January of 2010. and released in April.

I'd like to see any device manufacturer that supports a product this long. Heck Apple is still supporting the iPhone 3GS which is going on 3 and a half years old.

Microsoft totally killed their Windows Phone 7.5 devices in less than year of their release for many of them when they announced Windows Phone 8 would not be suipported on them.

If anything the lifespan of these products is pretty good given the other manufacturers. Heck There are Android phones in the market that haven't been able to update their OS for 2 versions of it now and nobody is complaining about those.

the iPAd 1 is still capable of running many many apps from the store, and has the honor of still having Google Apps, and the Youtube app in its last update.

Nov 29, 2012 10:12 PM in response to Phil0124

Phil0124

Your math is flawed. Since when is 2 yrs 7 months = 3 years?

More to the point, less than 3 years support for a $700 tablet is criminal & steeling from the public. We should complain & loudly. We the consumers have made Apple what it is.

Obviously you either work for Apple or are a "big apple" man!

Nice they support iPhone 3GS; but why blow off the iPad 1 ??

I used to think the big Apple was a really good compapny. But you have clearly set me straight. The rotten Apple's support here is indeed no better than Windows Phone or Android.

I will never buy another iPad, period.

Thanks for your insight.

Nov 30, 2012 7:17 AM in response to brian10253

I did not say it was 3 years old, I said it was ALMOST 3 years old. 2 years seven months is closer to 3 years that your estimated "less than 2"

More to the point, less than 3 years support for a $700 tablet is criminal & steeling from the public. We should complain & loudly. We the consumers have made Apple what it is.

When the tech industry moves as fast as it does, 3 years is quite long. Show me any device that receives updates past 3 years any device I dare you. And no a PC is not a valid comparison, because it does not recieve updates. the OS does. And a 3 year old PC that could barely run Windows XP for example is not going to be able to Run Windows 8.

The iPad 1 no longer has the hardware necessarry to support the new iOS. But again that does not mean it automatically stops functioning. Or cannot be taken in for a check if there is something wrong with it. If you still have Apple Care on it, it is totally covered. Just because it did not get a recent update does not mean its junk now.

Many people still run an iPad with iOS 3.2 just fine. that's 2 updates they could not care less about. Why suddenly eveyrbody moaning because the latest one can't be applied? Running iOs 5.1.1 should give it at least another year of functional life where it can still download appliations and work perfectly fine.

Again the iPad does not cease functioning because the update can't be applied. It still works just as it did before.

I will never buy another iPad, period.

Good for you, you'll never buy another mobile device ever either, if you keep expecting support for long periods of time. If everybody ss rotten as you say, what exactly are you expecting to buy then? Do you think Apple is going to miss your business. there are literally millions of people happy with their purchases with Apple and with other Manufacturers

And just for the record, I neither work for Apple nor think that everything they do is great. Just like I can point the flaws in Android or Microsoft so can I point them out in Apple. And they do have many falws.

Mar 2, 2014 12:23 AM in response to brian10253

Please save the disgrace of industry explanations.

A 700€ device that cannot operate and survive after 3 year is about ripping off customers.

Have a iMac 27, iPod nano, iPod, iPad 1, iPad air' iPhone 3GS and iPhone 5.

But tired of apple practices, just started moving to Android.

Instead of the 5s that can cost close a 1000€, bought a 435€ Samsung 4s.

The beginning of a lifelong shift, probably.

Preserving too much operating margins at the expenses of consumers translates one day into them shifting to other players.

So long

Michael

Will the original iPad 1 upgrade to iOs 6 ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.