Newsroom Update

The redesigned iPad Air and new iPad Pro with Apple silicon are now available. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad 4 WiFi w/ Verizon Fios

I have been reading many discussions regarding WiFi issues on the iPad, and I thought it would be helpful to document configurations that actually work. My hope is that knowing what can work may help troubleshoot the people who are still having problems.

For well over a year I have put off purchasing an iPad 2, then 3, because of all the complaints about WiFi. After all, what good is it owning a mobile device if you can't go mobile around your house and maybe your backyard. So, last week I discovered completely by accident that Apple had released an iPad 4. So I bit the bullet and purchased one, I could always return it if the WiFi stinks.

MY SETUP:

iPad v4 WiFi + Cellular [Verizon] 16gb White

Serial # DM

iOS v6.0.1

Cellular OFF

Bluetooth OFF

PRIMARY FIOS ROUTER

Verizon [Actiontec] Router M1424WR-GEN3G [dual antenna]

DHCP ON

xxx.xxx.xxx.2 through xxx.xxx.xxx.250

802.11 B/G/N

Channel 6

WPA2

SECONDARY FIOS ROUTER [same network/extends signal range]

Verizon [Actiontec] Router M1424WR-GEN3G [dual antenna]

DHCP OFF

xxx.xxx.xxx.251 through xxx.xxx.xxx.255

802.11 B/G/N

Channel 1

WPA2

TEST RESULTS:

Full 3 bars EVERYWHERE in my 2250sf one story home!

Full 3 bars EVERYWHERE in my yard! The furthest point ±300 feet from either router!

So I starting walking down the street:

Full 3 bars five houses down the block from my home!

Dropped to 2 bars at seven houses away!

At eight houses the signal dropped to one bar, but I was still able to watch perfect LIVE TV [Fios App]

CONCLUSION:

I would have been thrilled if I even got ANY signal on my rear patio, needless to say my results are HUGELY successful. Beyond my wildest dreams. It seems that the issues others may be having are more router based than iPad.

Funny thing, after only one day of use the things I dislike most about my new iPad 4 are:

- Heavier than I thought if holding for long periods. [my hands hurt]

- Viewing angle hurts my neck if viewing on lap.

- Extremely slippery, an accident waiting to happen. The aluminum is not tactile, a silicone skin should solve this.

- Completely useless outdoors, especially in the sun. [what were you thinking Apple?]

Hope this helps, good luck to all.

iPad, iOS 6.0.1

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 3:01 PM

2 replies

Nov 28, 2012 7:34 PM in response to PXL8R2

One example of a single configuration working masking as a "problem solved" posting. Glad this one setup worked in your home but do not let this reduce the pressure to get a solutio. Apple needs to fix this for all of us that connect to many and varying wireless networks at home, work, coffee shops, hotels, and visiting offices who have to deal with a crapshoot on actual connection and strength.

If Apple was wanting us all to soft reset several times a week and sometimes several times a day, then congrats - that is what I have to do or I am loosing my connection.

iPad 4 WiFi w/ Verizon Fios

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.